Thread: switches no longer just layer 2&3!?

switches no longer just layer 2&3!?

APRIL 12, 2004 (COMPUTERWORLD) - Foundry Networks Inc. today will announce modular and stackable switches for Layer 4-7 tasks, with a particular focus on corporate security requirements.
    San Jose-based Foundry will launch two modular switches dubbed ServerIron 450 and ServerIron 850 and a stackable device called ServerIron GT.

The products are designed to deter denial-of-service (DoS) attacks, company officials said. The modular switches deliver up to 320,000 Layer 4 connections per second, a speed that improves their ability to identify whether a transmission is permitted. That translates to protection against more than 4 million DoS attack packets per second, the officials said.
    http://www.computerworld.com/printth...,92106,00.html

Very very cool! I wish I had the cashflow to get my hands on some of the newer security devices coming out.

I'm still trying to justify upgrading my cisco 806 to a 831 (way better security).
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Good Stuff!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

450: $34,995 850: $38,995
    Wish I had that much cash too... Very cool though.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

they've even got spiffy test results posted on the foundrynet page

bathroom reading!!!

http://www.foundrynet.com/products/w.../appnotes.html
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.