Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locked out of W2k

Question Locked out of W2k

So, ok, I'm going to annoy everybody by asking the BAD question: how do I crack? Nooo just kidding, but I have a similar question:

I just switched out one of our user's machines. I'm giving him a better machine and moving his down to one of our conference rooms that doesn't need all the bells & whistles. During that process, before I logged off his computer the last time, I changed the name of his computer to "JAMES2" for network identification.

Then, I added computer "JAMES2" to the "users and computers" in the active directory of our domain controller.

I move the old computer downstairs, try to log on, and...I'm locked out! I'm told the account or administrator password does not match all of a sudden. So, I tried logging in as administrator on the local machine, and I had the same problem.

So now I have no way to login to change whatever's wrong with it. Is there anyway I can sneak past the W2k logon screen to get in and save this computer, or is it OS reinstallation time?

Did a subsequent reboot occur? I had this happen to me in Win XP Pro and after a reboot the Administrator login option came up [the actual Admin account, not some other account with admin privileges] and I logged in and unlocked the other account.
    /\\

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    If you changed the computer name then you may not have done it in the appropriate fashion..... I have found it to be a bit more fiddly than M$ likes to make out. My preferred method is:-

1. At the local PC move the computer to a workgroup
    2. At the AD server delete the old computer account
    3. At the local computer rename the computer
    4. At the local computer add it back to the domain.

If you do it that way then the new account should be automatically created in AD and domain admins should be added to the admin group of the machine.

So in your case - move it to a workgroup - delete the account and rejoin it to the domain and you should be good to go.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yeah, but I have to get into the computer in order to do that, hence my problem.

I did restart it too.

Just a reminder to backup the profile before deleting. (I have done that once or twice, but luckily had backup on tape) Tigersharks solution should work.

Can you login as a local admin? If not you might want to try the emergency version of this: ERD Commander Should reset the password fine.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Nope, won't accept the local admin password. I don't know if whoever set up the computer put in a different local admin password or not (not supposed to), but whatever be the case, it's not working. I'll give ERD a spin and let ya know what happens, thanks.

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    Nope, won't accept the local admin password. I don't know if whoever set up the computer put in a different local admin password or not (not supposed to), but whatever be the case, it's not working. I'll give ERD a spin and let ya know what happens, thanks.
    ERD saved my butt a couple of times when I forgot a local admin password. I demo'd it and then they send me an emergency code when I was having some trouble. We will buy it one day when the bean counters and I agree. (Dont hold your breath)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Can the old user still log in?
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Yeah, I'm going to have no luck talking the higher ups into purchasing it either. How did you get the demo version? There's no link on the website that I saw.

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    Yeah, I'm going to have no luck talking the higher ups into purchasing it either. How did you get the demo version? There's no link on the website that I saw.
    hmmmm.... I dont remember. Let me look at their website.

Edit: Here we go:

ERD Commander 2003
    http://www.winternals.com/products/t...act.asp?pid=ap

30 day trial if you sign your life and contact information away to them. (They will call a couple of times) It comes by mail though, so it might be a couple of days before you recieve it. (Dont know how quick you need the machine) Need to give good info though, so they can email you the info.

Is the user that you can login in a normal user or a power user?