Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PyScan Port Scanner 1.0 RC1

PyScan Port Scanner 1.0 RC1

Hey Hey,

Well I finally finished it. The first RC anyways. This is open for use and should be fully functional which is why I'm posting this one here instead of in code review. I'll generate some READMEs and what not at a later date, and I'll post a link to a software website, so that I can stop posting here and people can follow it's dev. on the site if they are interested. Next week I will begin programming a php front-end for the scanner to keep people out of the command line (for those who desire staying away from the command line). Tomorrow night (last night of work this week) will be spent cleaning up the code, documenting everything and possibly making the output a little prettier. Error reports are still appreciated (PM, in the thread, by email, call me if you so desire) as are suggestions, comments or anything else.

Features:
    - Threaded TCP Scanning
    - UDP Scanning (Not Quite Functional - Returns False Positives)
    - Command Line or File based port specification
    - Ability to change the default timeout and the time to wait while threads are closing
    - Text or HTML output
    - Single IP or Class C Scanning

The default timeout is 1 and seems to work quite nicely and the default time to wait is 30 seconds. This is probably a little excessive on most machines, but I wanted it to be too long rather than too short. Waiting 15 or 20 seconds for the threads to clean up will probably be more than enough. I'm sure their are still errors when scanning large numbers of ports, or a Class C where all the machines are connected, so feedback is definately appreciated. This is RC1 only because it is ready for production use in our machine, now the development of the scanner will have to be on my own time, so it won't be done quite as often as it has been these week.

If anyone is interested in the sloppy coding I used (I plan on slowly cleaning it up over time) and would like to learn more about the commands and such that I used, let me know and I'll create a tutorial on Programming PyScan from scratch and how the commands work and what they do.

Anyways here's the code, check it out and let me know what you think.

Peace,
    HT

Cool, I'll check it out properly tomorrow. A tutorial on Programming Pyscan would be interesting - perhaps you could even drag me from the curly brackets of Perl/C/Java kicking and screaming into the world of Python?
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I have never used a scanner before ... never had the use. So I will try one tonight.

Hey Hey,

I've prettified the output from the scans, they're now listed by ip address and in numerical order, rather than randomly popping up on the screen....

Enjoy,
    HT

Nice clean code, cool

as soon as my exams are over im gonna have a play with this, I notice you havent put about copyright on it, is it alrite to use parts of your code in future projects??

i2c

Lol, good question actually?
    Does it make sense when you put the words "Copyright blablah 2004" or something in your work. I thought you had to pay or at least go to the government (<- not exactly the correct term but you get what I mean) to make the Copyright actually mean something
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

el-half: It depends where you are in the world. Over here in the UK, you don't even have to put a notice - you own the copyright on any original works you produce. Of course, putting the copyright notice in makes it a lot easier to deter people who might use it without permission, and if you do have to take someone to court over it you can say "well the information was there so they can't say they didn't know" which probably counts in your favour.

I think the Berne Convention (an international convention on copyrights - mainly for authors at the time I think but it also applies to any copyrightable material) states that you don't have to apply for copyright and since most countries have implemented/agreed to this I would imagine that it applies in the US as well. Then again, they have different states with different laws etc. I'm pretty sure that most members of the EU have the same laws as the UK as well.

Generally, the only IP-related things you have to register are patents (granting you a time-limited monopoly on an invention) and trademarks (to protect a unique name/slogan associated with your business). Copyright is automatic, but as I mentioned earlier if you can register it or make it official in some way then you obviously have a bit more legal clout.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Hey Hey,

I never even considered copy-rights at the time of writing. I suppose on my next release I'll throw the copy-right on it, however if you really want to reuse the code (i'm sure you could write it much cleaner) feel free to.

Peace,
    HT

Antionline Herpetologist
    HTRegz, if you want it to be freely available, why not just distribute it under an opensource lisence like the GPL, BSD or MPL? The reason is, that the copyright for all original code remains with the original author in all these lisences. So no actual applying for copyrights.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Originally posted here by cgkanchi
    HTRegz, if you want it to be freely available, why not just distribute it under an opensource lisence like the GPL, BSD or MPL? The reason is, that the copyright for all original code remains with the original author in all these lisences. So no actual applying for copyrights.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Hey Hey,

Sounds like a good idea... GPL it is.

Peace,
    HT