Thread: Bloody WINE doesnt work !

Bloody WINE doesnt work !

I am a new user to Linux.
    From time to time i would need to run Windows Application.
    Some recommend me WINE!

But that prog doesnt work most of the time!
    Everytime i install for Eg. Windows Media Player. they would tell me that my window version is too old and it will not function.

Sick and tired of Wine!
    Is there anymore prog that fuctions like WINE!
    Must be FOC!

By the way the VLan media player That RH9 have cannot view most of the video.
    Is there any recommendable software that i can dnload and functiions as well
    Window Media Player!

Windows Media player is a horrid peiece of software, and not something I would recommend emulating.

There are plenty of native linux applications that can do what media player can:

xmms = music
    beep-media-player = music
    totem = dvds, movies and music
    xine = dvd, movies
    rythembox = music, library system similar to windows media player

However, don't knock wine because it won't work on one application I've used wine for more than a few things and all it takes is a bit of patience, love, and configuration.

edit: If you change wine's configuration to say windows XP then you get around that "os is too old" problem. But try to completely get away from WMP. Also, what OS are you currently running?

Originally posted here by pooh sun tzu

edit: If you change wine's configuration to say windows XP then you get around that "os is too old" problem. But try to completely get away from WMP. Also, what OS are you currently running?

OK! I will play around with the configuration of Wine!
    By the way , i dun really get waht you mean by XP configuration. You mean i can configure my WINE into a XP version????
    Or Dnload a version of XP WINE?

Hmm. If you dun mind can you tell me how to do the necessary configurations.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thankyou!

novkhan - are you using Media player because you want to look at WMV or listen to WMA files? One I've found to be very worth while looking at is mplayer - not sure about WMV capabailities (supposedly it can play WMV but I've not tried) but it works a treat with WMA as long as you d/l all the right codecs. All the other video I have tried works well too - and yes its free

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design6/news.html

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes