Thread: Dual booting windows and windows

Dual booting windows and windows

I'm going to buy a Pentium 2 from a friend within a week.
    Is is possible to dualboot Windows 1.0 and Windows 3.11?
    If Windows 1.0 is on the primary partition, how would I boot 3.11?
    How would you use a bootloader or something in this case?
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

going entirely from memory here so I could be well off - didn't win 1 and 3.11 only load automatically if you had them set up to do so in the autoexec.bat file? If I recall, if the relevant call to windows wasn't in autoexec.bat then DOS would load up and you'd have to type in 'win' at the DOS prompt to get into windows.

That being the case if you have both OS's on seperate partitions you should just be able to load into DOS and navigate to the relevant partition. Once in the relevant partition start win.com from there to load up whichever OS you want. I guess in theory you could write a couple of short batch files to do this automatically

you may want to PM Nihil as I believe he tinkers about with older OS's quite regularly

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

He, yes that would be obvious.
    Because you have to have MS-DOS installed before you can install an ancient windows version.
    I've never used anything older than win95 let alone install. (I've used win3.11 in the past but I was a little kid back then)
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

LOL - thanks now you've made me feel really old - I used Win3.11 at Uni - god but it was a bit of a pig. Using wordperfect to type up a report was a nightmare with formatting codes. Well good luck with it anyway

Z

PS install of win 3.11 is easy, never used win 1.0 so can't really tell you anything about installing that
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes