Ok, I have read the tut's on this site for advice on how to secure and setup my wireless network and this is what I have done so far. Hopefully people can point me in the right direction if I have gone wrong.

I am pretty new to networking as far as the actual bits of hardawre and their respective jobs go. I am a A+ PC engineer guy and only have a very basic understanding of networking.

Heres what I have done: ( all this is for a home network not office)

I have 3 home made PC's 1 sony VIAO laptop and a laptop that I have knocked up myself, all are running Win xp home except for one desktop that has win xp pro.

As a temporary solution before now I had to unplug my adsl modem and connect it to each machine as and when I wanted it to have internet acsess.

Yesterday I bought a Belkin ADSL modem with a built in wireless router, after a lengthy discussion with the guy in the shop I found out what a router does (kind of)

I have set it up with just my VIAO for now. I have a Linksys wireless pc card which as I understand it talks to the wireless router which talks to the adsl modem which talks to my ISP which gets me online??

Security measure I have taken so far are to:

Change the password on the router,
Change the SSID,
Stopped the router from broardcasting the SSID,
Enabled 128 bit WEP,
Disabled net bios over tcp/ip (on my laptop)
Enabled the firewall,
Blocked incoming ICMP,
Set it so that only a machine with my IP addy can logon to the router and make changes,
Set it so that it will only allow internet acsess to someone with my MAC address.

The way I look at it is the weak part of it is the actual wireless link between my laptop and the router, however I live on an army base not a resedential area so I dont think I need to worry about it this too much.

My main concern is secuing the router from acsess from the internet, I ran LanGuard against it and it came up with 48 CGI abuses.
I was able to exploit 8 of these myself to gain acsess to the router config page!

It also said that it was running a http proxy on port 8080, [glowpurple]why would it need to run this?[/glowpurple]

It said it was running an ftpserver, luckily its not annonomous but I cant find anywhere that mentions this feature in the config page so I cant turn it off[glowpurple](does it need to run this to function properly)[/glowpurple]
Its running apache 0.6.5 web server [glowpurple](why would it need to do this)[/glowpurple]

Its also running SNMP, using the SNMP walk feature of languard I was able to get all the information I would need to do all the things to my network that I dont want anyone to do!!
[glowpurple]Could someone explain what SNMP is[/glowpurple] (i know what it stands for but thats about it) [glowpurple]and if I can turn it off or atleast stop it giving away so much information.[/glowpurple]

Whaqt i am not sure of is, obviously I am giving Languard all the nesessery permissions the get acsess to my network through my firewall so would this turn up different info that someone who is out side my network scanning in to it?

Could anyone suggest any other way of securing my routerfrom internet attacks??

IP addresses

The way I understand it now is that the IP addy my laptop has now is just a local one to get me talking to the router (is this right), the router also has an IP addy that i use to log onto it to configure it and such(??) but it also gets another IP from my ISP to let me on the internet(??) so insted of assigning me an IP addy my isp now assigns it to the router,[glowpurple]is this right??. [/glowpurple] If it is there a way of telling what the IP that my isp has assigned is without going to the router config page(???) I have tried ipconfig /all from the cmd prompt but it just gives me the local ip's that I have set!.

Sorry it quite a long post but as you can appreciate it would prob take a while googleing all the info I need