Thread: Proxy Setup

Proxy Setup

Hi!

I want to set up a proxy server so that all my programs worked through port 80 or 21. But I am not sure if I'll be able to send e-mails using microsoft outlook.

Can someone please give me some insight on this?

Thanx
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

What are you using to setup your proxy? What setup?

If you use something like smoothwall or ipcop or even squid... you can setup a transparent proxy. A transparent proxy requires no configuration on the client.

Transparent Proxy
    A proxy that passes requests and responses unmodified, except as required for proxy authentication.
    Non-transparent Proxy
    A proxy that somehow modifies the request or response to provide some added value to the client or user.
    http://www.pandc.org/proxy/slides-sat/slide85.htm

The Transparent feature of the SmoothWall proxy server avoids the need to configure user’s web browsers
    to work with a proxy server. In transparent mode, all requests are automatically redirected through the
    cache. In this way, it is possible to stop desktop clients from browsing without going through the proxy
    server. If transparent mode is not enabled, then to make use of the proxy server you must configure the
    browser on user PCs and MACs to use port 800 rather than the standard port 80, as described in the later
    sections on configuring desktop client computers.
    http://download.smoothwall.org/archi.../2.0/admin.pdf
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I'll be using a program called free proxy. I want to have just one port open on my system as it is easier to defend then. It will be run on my system.

OK, I managed to set up a proxy to tunel all my trafic through another proxy on port 80.

How can I set up Microsoft Outlook to conect through the proxy I've got on my system?