Thread: Aceptable Use Policy

Aceptable Use Policy

I am currently trying to rework our company's Computer Usage Policy for MIS and I was wondering if anyone here and a good solid example of a policy they have in place that I might be able to use as a reference. Our policy is sorely lacking, old and out dated.

So if you have a good policy in place for a small companies (50-200 employees) and you wouldn't mind sharing it as a template, I would appreicate it!

Thanks!
    MrCoffee
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Keep in mind that AUPs should be unique to the company they are created for. What works for one may not work for you. The AUP should be part of what Management determines is to be protected, how resources are to be used, etc. If you are stuck as to where to start then perhaps googling for AUPs put up by many of the Universities/colleges do have their AUP publically available on their websites as to some ISPs.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

There are several sites that have examples and templates.

http://www.itmweb.com/policy.htm is one.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Echoing phish's thoughts, the SANS Institute has some good information.

Need an Example Policy or Template?

Good Luck

Cheers:
    DjM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for the suggestions and infomation. When searching under Google for a example policy, the ones that I came across where mostly based on educational use, not professional, and that made them hard to compare too. But thanks to the links, and the SANS suggestion I have found a number of well written examples to compare to. I was especially concerned about terms and wording. (not being in the practice of writing policy often, mostly enforcing it!).

Thanks again,

MrCoffee
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!