Greetings,

I have recently received an offer from a friend of my to test his home network for topmost security, so that I could gain further practice on security penetration and himself in security penetration prevention. Old news and a peice of cake, until I discovered he had a router. Now, only a few of you that speak to me off of AO may know that a router is my bane of security penetration. I see no possible way to crack a router, although I know it can be done and has been done. My point is this: What methods and tactics do you all use to bypass router protection (this would go for firewalls too) so that you can either A: remove the router completely out of the equasion .. or B: craft packets well enough to control the network with the router still active.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I figure it is time I learn this aspect of security for a change, rather than throw my hands up everytime a router (or software firewall) comes into the game plan. My thank in advance for your ideas. Right now I'm currently running a good old nmap -sS -P0 -v -D decoy1,decoy2,.....decoy13 -T Sneaky hisip so I'm hoping he left the configuration port open.

regards,
Pooh Sun Tzu