Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarmPro

ZoneAlarmPro

In my copy of ZoneAlarm, it barely detects any intrusions when before when i was using NIS 2003, there were a lot of intrusions detected. I use Win XP on a Linksys router. i wonder if NIS 2003 detected false intrusions
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

Slow down the posts man!

Today at 12:24 AM
    Today at 12:38 AM
    Today at 12:54 AM
    Today at 12:55 AM
    Today at 12:58 AM
    Today at 01:00 AM
    Today at 01:03 AM
    Today at 01:09 AM

Did you just install the Linksys, does it have a Firewall? Maybe that filters out some attacks? NIS has a alert level that may be different than Zone Alarm, maybe compare the alerts. If they are serious, then you can compare your results.

I agree with Soda, the router could be filtering out some attacks/pings/port scans. If that is the case, you should compare it all. I doubt that the old firewall deceted fals intrusions (depends on how you define intrusion, though--most likely it dected soemthing). But that wouls be a logical explanination based on the information you gave us: the router filters some stuff out.

i installed the linksys before either firewall was installed. both firewalls are/were at high alert level. i think NIS has a problem with false positives. oh and i keep wondering about stuff and now im slowing down.

I doubt as if there were any false intrusions in the NIS 2003 firewall. I don't know much about how ZoneAlarmPro and NIS 2003 firewalls compare, but it sounds to me like the NIS 2003 firewall is a lot better than the ZoneAlarmPro. I have used ZoneAlarmPro and it isn't all that advance, truth be told. It does a good job at protecting, though. Also, you might have clicked a box that says 'din't warn me again'. I am not sure but I think that it is possible. I haven't used NIS 2003 firewall, but it doesn't sound like it is giving false intrusion notices.

How many computers do you have on this router? Zone Alarm, from what I have used of it, and from what I'v read about it, is really not a great Firewall. What you should do, is get a firewall that will let you not BLOCK traffic, but DROP it. Dropping is much better, as any attacker will not even know the machine is online.

When you block it, they still know you're online, but if they don't even get the messege it was blocked, or online, they will usually move on to something else. The router should help too, as it will make OS fingerprinting a bitch, and also can help protect the machines. A ping flood would probably identify them all though, but it's something.

i have 3 comps on my router, im very sure that ZoneAlarm is not in "Don't alert me again" mode
    oh and i wanted to know...why does the router keep breaking...it keeps making us go offline until i reset it
    iv been having this problem ever since...well...ever since i can remember, which was sometime last year.

After setting up my linksys, I took off all my firewalls. I did this after monitoring my logs for a week and noticed no internal traffic aside from people accessing my webpage. The Linksys does a fine job at being a firewall for your system so you shouldn't really be getting that much internal traffic. In fact, when I did have my firewalls on under my router (Black Ice and Zone Alarm) they recieved no hits at all.

As for your router question, which router is it (model)?
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Well see the thing is your running hardware and software firewalls.
    You don't need zonealarm anymore.
    You can completely whipe that slate clean from you computer.
    Because it has no purpose.
    Some people have asked is running two firewalls at the sametime safe.
    I.E: Za / Syate/ etc.
    I told them it really serves no purpose.
    Running two software based firewalls really holds no signifcance.
    And, some firewalls won't even let you run another firewall.
    So basically rid of that the za and continue to linksys solo.
    Good luck.
    \"If knowledge is power. Why doesn\'t everybody read?\"

Well see the thing is your running hardware and software firewalls.
    You don't need zonealarm anymore.
    uh huh - so you don't think that being able to have some control over program components accessing the internet is a good idea then? You're forgetting that most (if not all) home routers with firewall don't stop outbound connections at all. In this instance a PC could be broadcasting any kind of crap. Many software firewalls do have some value in addition to hardware firewalls (of at least the kind you'll find on most home systems) in being able to do something about out bound connection attempts.

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes