Thread: Slack 9 boot problem

Slack 9 boot problem

I just installed slackware 9.0. i did the full install and it said that the install was sucessful.
    when i boot from the hard drive it says searching for boot record....IDEO ok
    then it just sits there. so i boot from the cd and log in as root..
    i am at the command prompt root@darkstar:~#
    so then i typed /usr/x11r6/bin/startx
    it says something like file not found or something....any ideas?

thanks
    kryptonic

i had a similar problem... (but i never fixed it) what i do know is that when you booted from the CD it probably didn't mount your hda (or whatever hard drive) partitions (at least it never mounted mine)

It sounds like your lilo might not be in the master boot record.

i've still not got my install working... my lilo just doesn't like to share with winxp (but i'm working on it)
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

It does sound like a Master Boot problem with lilo, so here is what I recommend:

1. Redo the entire installation process
    2. When it gets to the area of configuring lilo, choose the "simple" method, as it will create it for you.
    3. When it gets to the boot loading area, choose to put it on the Master Boot Record

Then come back and tell us what happens

:'( when i went back to re install it said something about the cd not being mounted...what should i do now?

Format the HD. While the computer is on, put the CD in, then shut down. Wait for a few minutes and then come back and tuen the machine one, and try again. That should allow you to boot from it. You probably should read a Slackware install helper. We have a few here, and as Pooh the MBR is where you want LILO.

LOL i just realised what i did and its quite stupid on my part. After the install I didnt configure the system therefor there was never a boot loader installed. haha.