Thread: Race Conditions?

Question Race Conditions?

OK, So, a while ago i was reading something about race conditions. Where a user can beat a suid program to a file or could also be used to run another suid program. Is that correct? also that file i was reading had an example of how to create a race condition. I have been wanting to learn about security and my ultimate goal is to set up my own computer where users can 'level up' by hacking their way through. I figure this would be a good way for me to learn and then be able to teach others about it.

So, can anybody point me to where i can find out about race conditions, or a list of kinds of security flaws that i could build my 'levels' with. I have a hard time finding good security sites.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

I toor\'d YOU!

Hmm then you might want to check HackersLab and their free hacking zone, that sounds like what you want to do. I guess once you're done with their chalenges you can start to code your own. That still requires a huge knowledge [which I am not impying you do not have, btw] so you manage to contain the challenge correctly instead of just offering a box up for grabs.
    /\\

Hackers Lab! That is the one i couldn't remember. Thanks for the help. I just got back online about a month ago, it had been almost 2 years w/o internet. During that time i switched to Windows to play video games and program. I lost about all of my linux knowledge. Now steadily regaining.
    Windows is to me like cryptonite is to superman (no offence to win users :-)
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Ironically the level in hackerslab i was in before losing internet was the one with race conditions.
    Also, Here is the page i had found about secure programming just in case any other (re)newbe might want it.
    Secure Programming