Thread: Registry contents

Question Registry contents

How do I check the contents of my Registry? I am working with Windows XP. I don't want to edit anything just yet, I just want to view what is on there. I have tried to run regedit but the box disappears as soon as it is brought up and when I do get the chance to click on anything I expand it just to see a list of numbers. Also, anyone know of a really good virus scanner? Thanks!!

try using regedt32
    Also for Virus scanner u might want to try Symantec

Regedt32

Thanks. When I run that program, it brings up folders that I can expand. When I expand them it brings up a list of what looks like file extensions. How do I read or interpret those? How do I see what is in the registry by description? Is there a way? Thanks again!!

or go start --->run ----->type regedit

i2c

Since you are learning, and trying to understand your registry, you should get this: It is a program called Hijackthis and is used by many to determine if changes have been made to the registry. There is a button on it that says "Info on selected item" .
    That should get you started on understanding part of your registry.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Whenever I run regedt32 the box opens up and then a few seconds later closes. This happens over and over again. How do I keep this from happening?

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

Bluewave

His problem seems to be more security related to me as his regdit dialog box dissapeers automatecally after a few seconds ;almost every body neglected this fact.

A few Virus are known to do this(Dissapeering of regedit and Msconfig box after 5 or so seconds) e.g W32.HLLW.Kefy , W32.HLLW.Cydog@mm , Backdoor.IRC.Yoink.A ,Backdoor.Volac.dr, W32.Kwbot.R.Worm.

Okay first i would suggest perform an online Antivirus Scan from HouseCall so if it finds a few of them. Tell us if it dosent solve the dissapeering problem.

And second you asked for a good antivirus i think Housecall online scan can be a good Solution. The only problem is it dosent provide round the clock protection that a perment AV can provide so i would suggest AVG. I mean the compination of both. Use AVG as a permenant Antivirus and perform Weekly or so Online Scans by Housecall.

If you want to know more about Registary you should read the following links

** Thread moved Back To the Front Page **

......Now where is that damm Thread Move Button......

Hey Msssssssssssssssssssssssssmiteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeens

[Edit]

My first comment "His problem seems to be more security related to me" was in responce to Msmittens post which said "Thread Moved to OS Fourm as this is more related to OS then Security" i am clarifing this coz after MsM deleted her post it looks a bit wierd.

--Good Luck--