Thread: PERL for n00bs

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Question PERL for n00bs

I have just been given another n00b intern who lacks PERL skillz. Now, I have always handed my n00bs the O'Reilly book on PERL, which I think is very good. However, my n00bs are telling me that it assumes that they know something about PERL.

Does anyone have a quality PERL book recommendation? In my old age I am willing to accept that perhaps all of my methods and ideas may not be good for others.

Thanks!
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Learning perl just now, and he is working under you?
    He better get on the stick. So, the apprentice cracks open the O'Reilly camel & feels thrown to the wolves, I suggest "Beginning Perl by Simon Cozens, Peter Wainwright."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...786012-3744037
    (Though I would make him pay for it)

I read the whole thing in two sittings at Books-A-Million.
    Wrox tends to be more down to earth and "friendlier" to n00bsters when learning the material. O'Reilly books on the other hand, aren't as so I guess... however they make good references and should be made a requirement. Also, most of the time Wrox books have more pages for the same price and are more visual (Wrox books contain more screenshots). In all the O'Reilly books that I've seen, most of it is text, and use very little diagrams. Though when a problem arrives he is going to have to be familar with the "bibles of the trade " O'Reilly books are going to save his arse, not the " learn_in_24_hours" that he needs to learn quick.

I'd bet money that book won't rub him the wrong way, even if he is a n00b. However, if it does, you know what the Don has to do to the The Apprentice.

If he has trouble with Shell Programming. I can make more suggestions aswell .

He needs to learn about increasing produ
    ctivity and building unity.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    LOL, well these interns are handed over to me through a state sponsored program. They are students at the state university and they get to serve their work study hours with me. Trust me, I hate it because I have to more or less babysit these clowns but as long as they are here, they're gonna learn something before going back to the classroom.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look it over.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I forgot to add the SAMS teach_yourself_ .... these books are awesome and can be found in whole sets on EBAY for cheap. You might want to hand that one instead. I always reccomend the SAMS books I can't believe I forgot that.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...44037?v=glance