Thread: rooting a router

rooting a router

can you get root on your own router? what is the normal way to get account on your router?

if not dose anyone know explotes for the micro_httpd web server all i can gather is that it is a simple light server used for low trafic sites?

if it helps my router was made by belkin and is running a form of imbeded linux.

I own and have phisical axcess to the router

thanks

Well as far as I'm concerned you can "root" a router. If you just bought this router it comes with a default password, mine was User: Admin Pass: 1234 others can be User: Admin Pass: Admin etc etc. It should come in the User Manual. Then afterwords you type your private (not 127.0.0.1) or global IP in the web browser/telnet mine has access to browser/telnet/FTP but that's mine each one has it's own, you should read the manual.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

yes it has a default passwork which i of coarse i changed as soon as i got it. but it only has a web sever and i want a shell on it so i could do thing such a set up a inds and a packet sniffer on the router

What kind of router?, if you spent under $200 on it, I am going to go out on a limb and say that getting a shell is probably not going to happen. Even if you do get a shell, aside from IDS that is included at the router level, your talking installing applications to hardware, hardware that more than likely has limited capacity. But good luck to you, post it up if you get anything going.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    You could try telnet, with the same username & password used by the web interface.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

there is no telnet the only server is the web server i told you about in my first post.

and yes it was sub $200 so is it impossible

i could go without applications but it would fine just to have a shell

It would be coole, but unfortunatly when you buy a more "cost efficient" router, you get shafted on options like a linux based os. Normally you get the $10 xml based web inerface. What you could do, is throw a junk machine in between yours and the router, install linux, and put snort, and tcpdump on it. Set up iptables, and you will have yourself a nice firewall / IDS. Cheers!
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

What kind of router? By that I mean model.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

not sure if this is exactly what you want, but what about port forwarding? in your router setup page, it should have something about it. For example if you want to have a telnet shell, install the telnet server on your computer, than set up your router to forward all requests to your external IP address for telnet to the computer with the server on it.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller