Thread: Admin, Password

Admin, Password

Hey guys,
    here's the deal: I am creating a we site as an extension to some message boards I have. I need some members to help me update it as the content needs to change every day. I have chosen some people that I really trust and that agree...now, here's the part I need your help with: I want to give them some access to update it but not have power over everything, kind fo like some kind of assistant admins. The web site will not be hosted on my computer. I realize this will require some kind of PHP or something...although I am learning and know some PHP, this is too complicated. Although I am experienced in creating we pages, I have never had to do this before...does anybody know how I could do this?
    Thanks in advance!!

Niels

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well here is what I would do.

I would make a database with all the admins in it with their login information. In the database I would also give them specific access levels. Now when I create the admin system, I would have the various programs check that access level in the database and then give an appropriate response. if($access_lvl == total_admin) {give_complete_access();}else{echo 'sorry you don't have proper access';}

Something to that extent.

Yes, xmaddness is right, I would do it the same way. And you will probably need some sort of login script. If you are not familiar with sessions etc. you should read this good tutorial about creating login script.
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

Ok, thanks guys!
    I really appreciate it, cuz this is crucial to the development of my site...I have never worked with databases before...I said I know some PHP, but a very limited amount, so...

Anyway, thanks for the help!!

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    If your looking for a place to start, take a look at my thread here. It will give you some basics on getting a secure page up via php and mysql.