First before I go on, I want to say this tutorial is for the noob. Please dont flame me if you already know this because you are super l33t h4x0r. I also want to say that I take no responsibility what so ever for any actions you take using this knowledge. Don't make false reports just to kick somone off thier ISP or at least give them a bad reputation with their ISP. Or whatever else you can think of doing with this info.

Since the time I first came here, which was only about a week ago lol, I have already answered about 3 questions on this topic. For this reason I have decided to write a little tutorial on IP tacing in hopes that it will answer any more future question on this subject. At least reduce the amount .

So now that we got that out of the way I ask you, have any of you noob's been getting spammed latley? Has anyone been emailing you threats and you want this to stop? Well, then this tutorial is just for you!

What you do is open up the unwanted email and look for an option that says something like "View Full Headers". It will be a little different depending on your email client (Outlook, yahoo, hotmail, etc). Once you have found the option and clicked it you should look at the email again. Notice anything different? Now there is alot more info above the email. This is information of the sender that sent you the unwanted email. Now look for the "From:" or the "Received from:" line. There should be an IP address. Now take that IP address and do a WHO IS search. When the results come there should be a name of the hosting company. Under the name there should be an abuse email address (ie: abuse@hostingcompany.com). If there isn't an abuse email address then go to their website and look up for the contact info. Sometimes if you contact support@hostingcompany.com, they can take care of it. But wait, thats not all, you should also do a "tracert" (without quotes) in the command prompt on the IP address. In one of the last 2 hops there should be another name. That is also the hosting company. Most likely it will be the same as the one you found using the WHO IS search. But sometimes they are different. This is because the hosting company you found in the WHO IS search could be basically the ISP of the ISP of whoever sent you the unwanted email. Or they own the IP address ranges that the ISP (of whoever sent you the email) uses. If this is the case find their contact information by going to their website and send an email to them and the company you found using the WHO IS search. Be sure to send a polite email. Most likely they will ask you to send them an attachment of the unwanted email for proof.

Hope this helps and sorry for the sloppy grammer .