Thread: Installing new protocols?

Installing new protocols?

I need to install the afp(apple filing protocol) on an xp computer so that i can get on my school's server, which runs afp, and download my homework and junk. Is that even possible? i've been searching for "afp+xp drivers" and stuff on google, but it keeps comming up with some kind of drivers for ibm printers. i guess what im asking is, is there a site that has a bunch of protocols, where i might be able to find afp or other protocols that might need? shouldnt i be able to just install a protocol and then go to a browser or explorer window and type "afp://myschool.k12.us" and get there?

I would assume that the protocol is some kind of apple only thing... Not sure if you could find a way to transfer it onto a win machine... The code would probably have to be quite a bit different since macs run on PPC instead of x86.

There are several comercial solutions, I'm not sure about free drivers. Is it afp over Apple Talk, or over TCP/IP? that's what you've got to find out first. It is an app level protocol.

Ask:

Is this an appletalk network, or a TCP/IP network?

Show me what it is and maybe I can help more.

- Good day,

Jon.

i think it is an appletalk network. we have different servers for the windows machines, but all the students have ibooks so most of our stuff is on the afp server. i guess its a mac only thing

From everything that I've found AFP is just a subset of the appletalk protocol, install that and give it a shot. If that doesnt work hit some mac forums.

Good luck!
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quite surprising that it's still dependent on Apple Talk Network since most Mac's, since OS 7.x, went to TCP/IP.

You might want to look at the following:

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/revie...r-network1.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305989

I'd be asking the admin if there is external IP access to this server (if any).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

there is external access, i get on it at home all the time. but i have to do it from my ibook.