Thread: Is there a Default mail Prog in RH9

Wink Is there a Default mail Prog in RH9

Goodday!

Is there a Default Mail Prog like Outlook for Redhat9 OS?

If not, is there ant prog that work like it?

Where to i get it, and what is the name ?

Dunk you!
    Will to Learn
    javascript:myimagepopup(300,400,\'\')

check out Evolution it's not bad and should be in the 9 release....

(you may consider kicking over to fedora however as rh9 is now considered end of life)
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

Hey Hey,

There's always a default mail program. Go to your command prompt and type mail. You can send and receive with it.

However, I'm assuming since it's RH9, that you are stuck in the GUI and still living in a point and click world. Then I'd have to ask what Window Manager you are running. If you are in KDE, there's a good chance KMail was installed by default. Look down next to your "start menu" (k-menu) and you should see a K with an envelope. That should do the trick for you.

If you want something a little fancier, with calendars and the lot. You will probably want to go with Ximian Evolution. You can download it from http://www.ximian.com/, or it may be installed... check and see if the evolution package has been installed.

If you are looking for an Exchange solution for *nix, I'm afraid you are going to have to spend a little money. Ximian sells an Exchange connector for Evolution, however the price tag is around $70 USD. Not a bad price for a business when you compare it to the price of Outlook, but when you are a home user that can make it pricey. There are a few perl scripts available from www.freshmeat.net that will allow you to get your email from OWA and transfer it to your local mailbox, however I have had mixed results... for the most part they are POS.

If you don't need Exchange access and just want a very purdy client, Evolution is the way to go. If you just want to send and receive email, then KMail will more than do the trick for you. If you want to be the l33test of the l33t and a real bad-ass... then jump to a command line and use mail :P.

I'm sure you'll find something to suit your needs. There's always pine if you want a GUI from the command line. Pine is the God of Console Email.

Peace,
    HT

he he

And I thought I was the only one on the planet still using good ole pine....
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

I use mutt myself, but in a gui mozilla-mail is a good bet.