Thread: X windows system doubt

X windows system doubt

Guys,
    I'm tired after writing a couple of exams, when I got the following doubt .

What do the following mean :
    X , X11 , XFree86

How are they distinct from each other?
    mirmir

What is XFree86?

The XFree86 Project, Inc is the organisation which produces XFree86™, a freely redistributable open-source implementation of the X Window System. XFree86 runs primarily on UNIX® and UNIX-like operating systems such as Linux, all of the BSD variants, Sun Solaris x86, Mac OS X (via Darwin), as well as other platforms like OS/2 and Cygwin.

XFree86, provides a client/server interface between display hardware (the mouse, keyboard, and video displays) and the desktop environment while also providing both the windowing infrastructure and a standardized application interface (API). XFree86 is platform-independent, network-transparent and extensible.

In short, XFree86 is an open source X11-based desktop infrastructure with our goals and purpose detailed in our Mission Statement.
    In summary:
    X Windows is a windowing system.
    X11 is a desktop infrastructure.
    XFree86 is a project that aims to implement both of those things.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?