Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ultimate security for my computer

Post ultimate security for my computer

[gloworange]ULTIMATE SECURITY [/gloworange]

Hi I'm a newbie (and I'm not afriad to admit it)

I want my box to be uber secure. I'm a little paranoid. currently I'm running Zone Alarm Pro, Pest Patrol (which scans for spyware/adware, keyloggers, and malicious cookies), And Norton Antivirus on windows xp with xp firewall turned off for fear of conflicts with ZA. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
    s a s s e r
    [glowpurple]Live your best life - Oprah[/glowpurple]

Re: ultimate security for my computer

Well, if you're looking for "ultimate security" there is lots that you can do. Software-based firewalls (aka Zonealarm) are inherently insecure because the assumption is that the OS that they reside on is insecure. If you want real security, you need to go with something that is either hardware-based or runs at the kernel level. You could put this machine behind a Linux machine doing stateful inspection (although you would have to take the proper precautions when setting this up so that you're not running unecessary services, etc). You could also check out the NSA's guidelines for securing Microsoft Windows XP here. There is lots more that you can do, but these two, combined with what you're currently doing will far surpass the protections that your average home user has implemented, and should assure a reasonable level of security.

Originally posted here by sasser

I want my box to be uber secure. I'm a little paranoid. currently I'm running Zone Alarm Pro, Pest Patrol (which scans for spyware/adware, keyloggers, and malicious cookies), And Norton Antivirus on windows xp with xp firewall turned off for fear of conflicts with ZA. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

I know about linux and have even tried, and liked redhat linux, but at my level ( I like to think i am an intermediate), and the things I want do like games, photos, TV/PVR aren't geared towards linux. so I'm limited on my OS choices, at least on this particular box, I'm aware of the security flaws that xp has too. In short what I'm trying to do is secure what I have and what i'm working with. I guess to clarify I am trying to find out if I am missing a software program(s) to HELP keep out the black hats. As for behind a linux machine, honestly thats beyond my level as of now. I've have two extra computers that could be used for something like that..but unfortunatly thats where I fall short... in do time and through a little research. thanks for your reply
    s a s s e r

Cool Re: ultimate security for my computer

Thanks.
    Zone Alarm Pro = Good to have
    Pest Patrol = Good to have(takes care of the ANNOYING adware)
    Norton = Good for virus detection and anti-viris engagement

Looks like you have everything pretty secure for not using Linux. I would not worry about it too much. But still be coscious. When you let your gaurd down once. All the bad things hit........
    TRINITY IS COOL........
    http://pub2.ezboard.com/btrinityland
    (C++ Novice)

I guess to clarify I am trying to find out if I am missing a software program(s) to HELP keep out the black hats.
    This is going to sound trite, but honestly, the best security is your continuing education concerning computers. The steps you have taken so far are a good start, but relying on software to protect you is folly, IMO. Update, patch, etc., and just like you have probably seen before, start reading; then you can ask more specific questions that people will be able to give specific answers to.

If you are actually interested in securing your box to the "ubereth" degree, then you need to understand what those apps you mentioned are doing for you.

Originally posted here by KeyserSoze

If you are actually interested in securing your box to the "ubereth" degree, then you need to understand what those apps you mentioned are doing for you.

Very true...thanks
    s a s s e r

Two Words... for COMPLETE Computer Security..... Power Off

Just Kidding..

Cheers
    [gloworange]The Only Way to be Safe is To Never Be Secure. [/gloworange]
    Benjamin Franklin

KeyserSoze, hehe... lol at specifics all he asked was if he was missing something. But wait sorry, after seeing phantomj104's post you know what, never mind. **** this...

And by the way I bet your missing some good file/sys policies & auditing. Does a world of good when you get malware on your box then all of a sudden it's method of startup is prevented or you are alerted towards all changes made on your box. Once firewalls fails you and a buffer overflow is performed, the attacker gains what ever priviledges of what ever program he or she manages to exploit. This of course varies and yet it still doesn't mean that things aren't watched over. Why make it all the more easly done?

Linux this and that... mostly what I have seen are peaple running servers off linux. And when that happends things are usually about as secure as an ugly fat girl at a school dance. A OS alone will not keep you safe so why are peaple bringing it up...

You want to know ulitmate security here is a checklist:

If you are running windows:

learn how to use everything in that Administrative tools folder in control panel

Learn how to read your logs

Learn how to edit the registry, completely, without killing your box

Learn how to run an antivirus program and keep it up to date

Learn how to run a spyware program and keep it up to date

Learn how to run a good firewall, and be able to write rules for it based on your current situation.

Learn how to set up some secure services (SSH, VPN over SSL tunnel, Apache, etc)

Keep up to date on exploits

Apply patches

Learn commen sene

If you are running Linux:

Learn the crap out of iptables and be able to write your own rules

Learn how to set up a secure apache server with cgi apps and php

learn how to set up a SSH server

Learn how to set up a sendmail server

Learn how ot set up a linux router

Learn how to set up a DNS server

learn how to set permissions

learn how to use netcat

learn how to use snort

learn how to use nmap

learn how to use nessus

learn to edit each and every system file

learn how to read logs

Keep up to date on exploits

patch your system

use commen sense

If you can say you have done every one of these things, then you should be pretty adept at security. However, it doesn't stop there. To be REAL good at security...well I tell you what, finish this checklist and I will give you more to learn.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Originally posted here by phantomj104
    Two Words... for COMPLETE Computer Security..... Power Off

Just Kidding..

Cheers
    i agree lol ,only way to totally sucure your computer is to unplug the line to your modem ,or continue you ssearch for knowledge ,also as alternetives are sygate,avg ,adaware...i have ran sygate for 2 years nothing has happened to my computer yet i highly recommend sygate personal firewall pro