Thread: Need Help To Start

Question Need Help To Start

Hi there,

I need help from you all. I wish to learn 'defending HACKING'. But I lack in basic knowledge and guidance. So I need help in 'how do I begin?', 'what should I learn?'. I do have a programming backgound and some networking knowledge. Please..Reply to help me out.

Million Thanks in advance.

Stay Tuned

Welcome to AO

So you're looking for a starting point. I'd suggest just picking an area that interests you and start reading up on it. Use the AO search feature to find specific stuff you're looking for. Also try this white paper site for some good PDFs. I love that one

One thing I found to be a great learning experience was getting Knoppix-STD (a bootable Linux distro with tons of security apps) and fooling around with it.

If you...
    wish to learn 'defending HACKING'
    then you could start reading up on hardening your system (whatever OS you're running). Get a free firewall such as ZoneAlarm and mess around with it.

And best of all, stick around AO and ask questions along the way. Everyone here is willing to help you and guide you.

Good luck,

mjk

Info-Au's link probably covers most of it.. but a summery would be..

Harden the machine - Disable un-nessecary services.
    . - Lockdown .. Strong passwords all access points.. and no access given or implied elsewhere..
    Make sure all updates that are available that apply to the box are installed.
    Firewall..updated
    Anti-virus...updated

And follow the threads here.. learn by playing with systems..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thumbs up Thanks for your help

Hi Buddy,

Thanks for your help. I still need time to get around the things suggested by you all. I'll be back with my queries.

Stay Tuned