Thread: floppy autostart

floppy autostart

HI i was wondering if it is posible to put a floppy in the computer and the program or file inside can start automaticly (kind of like cd auto start ).deaos it have to do any thing with the boot sector

Elite Hacker
    CD's normally have an autorun.inf on them. I just opened one up and it said
    [AutoRun]
    open=setup.exe
    icon=setup.exe, 0
    I tired making a file the same on a floppy and changing the exe to execute to the correct one, but that didn't work. Actually, if you look, the disk isn't even read when you put it in. Only when you try and open the floppy in my computer is it read. So as far as I know you can't do it. Hopefully someone will come along and prove me wrong.

There is a way to enable autorun on other drives, including floppies.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

but...

NOTE: Most floppy disk drive controllers do not currently recognize when a floppy disk has been inserted. To test AutoPlay on a floppy disk, first alter the registry setting so that bit DRIVE_REMOVEABLE is not set, start the Windows Explorer, insert the floppy disk, and press the F5 key to refresh the display.
    it still won't run automatically when you insert the disk.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

i havn't looked at ms's site yet but it seems like you could disable A as a boot drive and put an entry in autoexec.bat to run you program or the startup folder or hklm\local_machine\software\windows\current_version\Run

then again you could use firedeamon or make it a service using services.exe and start with the machine
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AFAIK it cannot be done, because the floppy drive and its controllers are too primitive.

I have one machine that will support the function, but that has an LS120 drive, not a standard floppy (the LS120 drive handles its own media AND standard floppies). I believe you can do it with ZIP drives as well?

Your BIOS should recognise the LS120 as a "floptical" device

Cheers

looks like ms agrees with you nihil:

NOTE: Most floppy disk drive controllers do not currently recognize when a floppy disk has been inserted. To test AutoPlay on a floppy disk, first alter the registry setting so that bit DRIVE_REMOVEABLE is not set, start the Windows Explorer, insert the floppy disk, and press the F5 key to refresh the display.

To test the Autorun.inf file on a given disk, using the right mouse button, click the icon for the drive in the Windows Explorer. The effects of the Autorun.inf file should be visible in the context menu.

opening the explorer and refreshing would kind of defeat the purpose of an auto-start
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”