Thread: nt loader is missing.....

nt loader is missing.....

I installed counter-strike condition zero in my pc that uses windows 2000. I dont know what happened but my pc crashed. When I restarted it, the message "nt loader missing" appeared. tried to do re-partitioning and formatting but it still wont work. Tried reinstalling win2k through cd-rom but still didnt work. The harddrive can only be detected through cmos set-up.. can anyone here help me...? i dont wanna look stupid or something. I hope u would all understand. Im new here and i got lots of things to learn from what u can advice... Thanks for the help.
    If your curious, your probably interested.

the best bet to do is to try to scan your system with an antivirus. If you formated you harddrive you should not see the error. Unless you have a floppy in your machine and you forgot all about it.

Copy the ntloader file from any other machine which has nt. use the boot disk to boot the system and copy the ntloader file in c: then restart the system.

-lok

Are you sure it said "nt loader missing" after the format? or did it just say non-system disk, please insert system disk. (or something like that)

I have had the nt loader missing error... but i forget what i did... i was either messing around with ntoskrnl or i had messed around with my boot loader (lilo has given me some problems). A quick format reinstall got windows working again for me.

There is a small chance (as qod said) that you were infected by a boot sector virus, but that would be a strange occurance.

What i would do is get my hands on a windows 98 or later boot disk (floppy) and attempt to run fdisk. You might have messed up your computer's master boot record.

Hope this helps

small edit: i just read lok's post...
    checking my c:\ drive i found a file called ntldr (didn't have an extension). This is probably the file you need... of course this machine is running xp pro.
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

*sigh* there must be thousands of threads in google about this and at least 100 of them here.

read some of the stuff at microshaft.. click here