Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe BIOS problem...

Maybe BIOS problem...

Hi all, my pc after a while (about 30min) im using pc it will suddently the monitor become black, at first I thought it was restart, but it just black screen... and i have to reset my pc back.

This is happen after I update my BIOS through Flash Menu, so it update automatically via internet.

My motherboard is Abit NF7-S ver2.0.

A bit of a guess but:

1. Go into setup
    2. Power saving options
    3. Set machine to on all the time............snooze and XP don't work that well
    4. Do the same with your display manager...........no screensaver etc.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

When this thing happen, the monitor is not in Shut off mode, but my monitor in black color, and I can't do anything until I press reset button to restart it back.

I already set al the power option to all the time only the monitor will shut off after 20 min, but I know this is not the problem, it's work well.

Do we can restore back the previous version BIOS driver?

Hi John,

OK, I would not want to try to reverse the BIOS upgrade, unless it gave you a save previous version option when you did it.

I would look for new video drivers for your card and for your screen?

And please recheck that you have ALL power and screensaver options off

Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers

johnno

Yeah, I already check off all power and screen saver before... I think this will happen when I'm running heavy applications. This morning I'm playing Computer game, then suddently my pc monitor become black. And Just now I'm burning CD, then the same thing happen at the middle of burning process.

Hi John,

This is a bit of a wild guess, but you ought to check if you have some trial software you have downloaded that has passed its trial date? I have had the problem you describe because of this.............it trys to send you a nagging screen or contact its website, and this clashes with whatever else you are doing.

You may have to go into safe mode to be sure that you have uninstalled the lot?

Maybe scan through your program folders and delete ones that you know you don't have running anymore?

Cheers

generally when you flash a bios, you should reset it via the jumper on the mobo.
    it puts things into a "known" state.. keep in mind that you should have your
    computer power supply ac cable UNPLUGGED or the switch on the supply turned off
    when resetting the bios.

once you bring it back up.. go into the bios settings and check the hardware monitor
    for temps and voltages.. see if they fall into the normal range.. check the other settings too.. a good idea might be to set the bios to it's "safe" setting, there should be an option for doing that.. then later you can tweak it if you plan on overclocking.

I must ask this 'tho.. why did you flash it in the first place ? I generally tell folks
    not to flash unless it's really needed.. the "don't fix it, if it ain't broke" rule..

while you're inside the box.. it wouldn't hurt to reseat the video and memory..

going back to your old version is a possibility.. especally if you managed to flash
    a similar but wrong bios for your mobo..

Emm, do we need to reseting the BIOS after we update it? I didn't do so.... maybe that is why I've got this problem...

Thanks mate...

yep.. look around any good hardware forum.. it's pretty much standard process..

I already clear the BIOS, and it seems no problem after that.... thanks nihil and sumdumguy