Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a PC

Building a PC

Hi there guys, and gals.

I'm looking to build myself a PC. The things I'm most concerned about right now are the following:

Ram -- Good ram, atleast 512. (256x2)
    Processor -- Looking for a P4 2.8
    Graphics card -- already have purchased one and have it running in my PC. Works great.
    Monitor -- Going to need to get a monitor if I get a PC. Unforunately this will probably cut my budget down.
    OS -- Looking to get Windows XP, cheap from somewhere. I currently have it running on this computer, can I install it on a computer I would build? Or would I have to purchase another copy?
    Mobo -- Looking to get a good motherboard so I wont have to get a new one for quite some time. AGP 8X, Minimum 2GB Ram. (I'm sure you guys know what's best)

I'm in the budget range of $500-690

I'm going to need a monitor.

Can someone give advice? The parts I'll need for myself to

Most of the components you want you shouldnt have too much trouble finding cheap on tigerdirect.com or pricewatch.com. ( maybe even overstock.com ) Sometimes they have specials on crt monitors and their prices are usually cheaper than others. You are able to install xp again on an aditional computer, at least i have, and it seems you have the rest in hand. If you have any trouble feel free to drop me a message and ill give ya some help.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

Good Day,

I haven't checked prices in awhile, however, when I build a new PC I think about bus speeds and static ram. If I want a faster PC those two items (among others of course) must be addressed and will usually drive the price up. If you haven't read up on the difference between Static and Dynamic Memory here's some links.

http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net/static-ram.html

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/fr...pesSRAM-c.html

have fun

Just a few thoughts,

1. You can get a device that allows you to run two computers using one keyboard, mouse and screen.

2. As you plan on using your existing Video card, make sure that the MoBo you choose supports it, and that there are no issues..............try the cardmaker's site, particularly if they host a users' forum

3. Be careful with the MoBo specs. I have mobos that will support (for example):
    3Gb PC2100
    1Gb PC2700
    512Mb PC3200
    What I am saying is there is a trade-off between quantity and speed, particularly with the cheaper boards.

4. Don't buy "cheap RAM" it is a false economy. In the case of very fast memory you may find that the board will only support certain makes. Otherwise Crucial are very good, in terms of cost, performance and lifetime warranty. Kingston are another good "generic" manufacturer. Remember $20 saved could turn out to be $60 wasted?

Good luck and have fun

Regal Making Handler
    A point about your os, xp should go on your new pc and be activated with no problems. I believe microsoft allow for it to be installed an two box's for home use. If you do run into activation problems activate it by phone. I'm sure all will be ok.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Thanks for all the links, quick replies and help.

I forgot to mention however... I must start from the ground up. I could hold off on the monitor for now, I have 2 in my home. The second one isn't too good, but it will have to do until I can afford a new one.

I have to get cables, hdd, everything ladies and gents. I'm hoping now that I scratched the monitor from the list, that this will help a bit.

Have a birthday coming up on the 18th of may, will most likely get some moo lah $.

I'd still like to stick with a P4 Intel with a minimum 2.6 GHZ

Need atleast 512MB ram.. and a motherboard to support AGP8X, my ram, stuff like that.

I'm going to need a sound card? Yes..

Basically, I'm going to need to order my parts from the ground up, Case... fans, HDD, CD-Rom R+W, all these goodies.

Might be selling a few of my XBOX games for some more cash down the rode. We'll see though.

Thanks in advance and hope you can help

PS: The graphics card I have is an

GeForce FX 5900 XT 128MB Overclocked.

AO French Antique News Whore
    If you want to save money, buy a AMD Athlon Processor. It'll save you A LOT of money and you don't really noticed the difference between Intel and AMD.

If you finished by doing this program, I'll like to see it!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Would it be good to buy a PC from ibuypower.com instead of building one?

This way I can buy the computer with low priced parts and upgrade them from newegg?

Im not too handy.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Always better to buy a computer build from a good store. Why?

1) If you buy a defective piece from Internet, you're stuck paying the shipping to get repair from the companies. If you buy from a store, they will give you another piece the moment you bring it to the store. You get your piece the same day while you could wait a months for a repair to happen on the Internet.

2) Building your own PC can get painful if you are not an expert. Stores are usually run by Expert.

3) Store can sell you guarantee for some years that make sure your hardware will be trouble free for a few years.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Hi,

If you are "not too handy" you might like to check out small local computer stores and see what they would charge you to build the basic machine? I used to use one that charged around $65 and gave a two year warranty.

GeForce FX 5900 XT 128MB Overclocked.
    Why are you overclocking it? it sounds like it is the best component in your current set up?

Remember that there is a balance between motherboard speed, RAM speed, processor speed, videocard power and the display unit. I would guess that all you are doing is shortening the life of your video card?

It's a bit like road traffic, if you inset a six lane stretch into a two lane highway, all you do is move the gridlock someplace else?

Cheers