Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are hacking websites safe?

Question are hacking websites safe?

hello every1 on antionline,
    I am wonerding if websites are safe as some website that contain infomation about hacking and give tutorials about it. But as we all know not all websites are safe so my question is how do you know whether websites that contains hacking tutorials are safe or not. and where do I learn from. (I am only learning and wish to only gain intelligence for a career as an security consultant)
    thanks

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    But as we all know not all websites are safe so my question is how do you know whether websites that contains hacking tutorials are safe or not.
    What do you mean by safe? in the sense that they have spyware? that they might be run by the FBI? that they might attack you?

There are always risks to surfing online and gaining new knowledge. The question is: do you pay attention to the state of your computer and how it changes as you surf?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just Another Geek
    The safest way to learn "hacking" is to setup a small network at home with an operating system of your choice and to start playing with it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi,

As MsM has pointed out, the internet is not a safe place period. Websites such as you describe are probably more likely to be dangerous than others but are not certain to be so, after all they do want people to visit the sites don't they

I would be inclined to use an old machine, not connected to a network, and with a full range of AV, anti spyware, anti trojan and firewall software. I would make sure that it had the minimum of personal information on it..............remember that registered software may well have personal details in it.

I would also NOT use IE as my browser as that is the most popular, and therefore likely to be used as an attack vector.

Make sure that your machine is fully patched and clear your browser cache and run your AV and AdAware, SpyBot S&D etc after each session.

I would also suggest using RegistryProt

http://www.diamondcs.com.au

and WinPatrol

http://www.winpatrol.com

They will warn you if you have been attacked/infected

http://digilander.libero.it/zancart is where you should find Winsonar. Allow it to block unknown scripts when you launch your browser (it will prompt you...say "yes")

Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster are also worth having.

In SpyBot Search & Destroy, make sure that you update it and run the immunisation.

Good luck

just use knoppix to browse on a empty computer.
    knoppix runs from cdrom, so whatever they are trying to install, you'll get rid of it after a reboot
    also then there is no personal info, and nothing important available for the attacker...
    get it here..

have fun :P

Simple, don't browse sites with so called hacking material.
    Just browse the tutorial sections, here, and you'll walk away knowing more then you could learn at some skiddie websites with BullS**T tutorials.
    Not all of them are like that man. HackThisSite, has some good excercises for newbies, and fun stuff if you know what you are doing (just not very hard..). Hackerslab is also a good wargame. I haven't been to hackers.com for a while, but they had some good information and I think (not sure) the people who run it know what they are doing. HappyHacker has some good basic information including AgentSteals little essay on getting caught.

-Cheers-

PS: What the hell is with people saying Cheers at the end of their post now...

Cool Well........

I wouldn't be too afraid of going on to web pages that are subjected to hacking content. You should be aware that many websites like that have MAJOR spyware adware. Mabey not in some cases. But in most cases. But spyware is every where no a days. So just be carefull anywhere you go........
    TRINITY IS COOL........
    http://pub2.ezboard.com/btrinityland
    (C++ Novice)

surfing hacking sites in general "IS NOT SAFE" with the default windows settings. turn off active-X, active scripting, and set your browser to prompt for java script. DO make sure you have all the current patches and virus updates.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    Just stick to AO.

PS: What the hell is with people saying Cheers at the end of their post now...
    Well that one is easy, AO is being assimilated by an ANZAC (Australian and NewZealand Forces) British cartel.....this is just a start? Bill Gates will be allowed to continue his miserable existence, only if he satisfies the cartel that he has aquired significant Linux skills in the next three months.

He is permitted to purchase SCO, but I have personally advised him that I could suggest much better toilet tissue than their stock certificates?

Slightly more seriously (only just?) "cheers" is a drinking toast in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and parts of Canada. It means "I wish you well", I suppose? It is sort of a greeting and parting phrase between friends/aquaintances.

I have personalised the phrase:

"Jeers queers, may your earholes turn to a$$holes and sh1t down your collar"

But I was probably thinking of people who try to patent public domain knowledge at the time?