Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router

Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router

Does anyone know of a place where I can get a copy of the control software thing for it? It says on the website it comes with it but my friend bought his used and it didn't come with it. Is there anywhere to download it? Linksys doesn't have it on their site. Also, if anyone knows of any third party programs we would be open to using something like that as well. Googling didn't come up with anything except links to buy the router.

Normally, it is controlled via your browser.

Reset the device (should be a reset button on the back?)

Then point your browser to 192.168.1.1 (I think linksys uses this scheme?)

Make sure that you have your PC NIC plugged into the router on the one of the LAN ports.

Also, make sure that you either
    1. have dhcp enabled. (assigned automatically)
    OR
    2. have your NIC assigned statically... (manually assigned)

anything in the 192.168.1.0 subnet will work,
    except for 192.168.1.0, 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.255
    set your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
    and your gateway should be 192.168.1.1

You can still get the user manuals on their site.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I dont know how you can get the software, but you can go ahead and type \\192.168.1.1 into IE and it should take you into the admin website for your router.

Edit: Phish beat me to it.

N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Regal Making Handler
    Go here :http://www.linksys.com/download/

Pick your model from the drop downlist and your os click downloads for this product. There should be all the info you nead.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

The download there was nothing more than the user manual, and the user manual said how to set it up. We already knew that, as he has been using it for 6 months. We will try the browser/ip address thingy. I think we tried it but we used .0.1... Not sure why we did that, but oh well. I will send him to this thread since I'm not at his house right now and see if he can figure it out from what you guys have said.

Thanks for the help.

Regal Making Handler
    There will not be a driver there but there maybe a firmware download.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

We don't need a firmware download... The router is running fine... We just wanted to figure out how to control it... If I had it, I probably would of figured it out a long time ago, but he is not as much of a "mess around with everything" type of person like I am...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    What people have already stated is correct.

There's a depress button where a small pen can go. Push that in with the power on for about 5 seconds, waiting to see all lights flash. You just reset the default values for the router.

Now, plug your machine into it on one of the ports and make sure your NIC is set for DHCP (obtain automatically). Hit the webpage http://192.168.1.1 with the default password of 'admin' (I'm serious), no username, and you're in.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Yea, I am 99% sure you guys are correct. I need him to hurry up and stop playing mohaa so he can try it. Stupid games take over his life... haha but I am addicted to, so I have no room to talk... As I stated before, we tried the browser thing, but used the wrong IP... It should work as he hasn't changed any settings or anything and he has reset the router a few times...

Do change the password, however, as soon as possible. You're a sitting duck keeping that default instalation.
    /\\