Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JPEG images

JPEG images

Hi all

Im currently running Windows XP,I recently noticed that all my JPEG images could not be opened. When i try to open them they simply appear as that " little blank square ". Although bitmap images are fine. Ive tried downloading new jpeg images and saving them and they appear to load fine. Its just anything saved before the other day that does not work. The only thing ive really done is to run F-secure virus scan .

any ideas ?

thanks

Anything in the logs of F-Secure? Or, any other changes to the system architecture, especially the software you were/are using to view these images.

Does switching to thumbnail/list view, or looking for the thumb on the left hand frame or Explorer show you a preview of the picture? Or that, too, is blanked?
    /\\

Hi,

Have you looked at the older files to see that they are still of a "reasonable" size, and not set to zero length (some viruses do that)

Do a google search for Irfan View. It is free on a lot of freeware/shareware sites. Try to open the files in this application.

The thing I like about is is if there is something wrong with an image file it will generally tell you exactly what, and also has some file repair capabilities.

I know of other "image recovery" software, but let's find out what the problem is first

If you can open more recent files it looks like your file associations are OK.

Cheers

Could be a virus... did you update your AV pattern? and scan your pc again. If it still doesn't works, pls try to restore back your windows to previous day.

Tell me if you found the solution...

Thanks

The "older" images that are blank when opened appear blank when viewed in preview mode also. Having checked the Sizes they all appear to be set as 0 kb , im going to try to use the image program above and let you know how i get on.

thanks

If the file lengths have been set to zero, you have almost certainly been attacked by a virus.

Have you any music files, movies etc..................are they still OK?

DO NOT DEFRAGMENT YOUR DRIVE!

Go into Google and search for "Trend Micro", about 5 entries down you will find a link to their online virus scan "Housecall"..............run this. It is online so if you are on "pay as you go" you will probably want to wait until after 18.00hrs? If you are a UK domestic user.

Let us know what the virus is, as depending on what it does will depend your chances of recovery. Some of the viruses that attack image and media files just set the size to zero, the actual data is still there

Good luck

When opened in IrfanView the following message is brought up

Image location/name : Can't read header file !

unknown file format !

That sound like a virus to me

Try running "housecall" from Trend Micro, or the PANDA software online scanner, and let us know...........

DO NOT DEFRAGMENT!!!

EDIT: I did d/l some piccy recovery stuff a while back....I will try to find it for you, but I would like to know the results of the AV scans?

Having scanned my drive with Housecall from trendmicro, it came up with the following virus infections. Unfortunatly the way the software is i am unable to copy / paste the results so show in in more detail what was found and which files have been infected. The following virii come up in housecall as uncleanable . As a result ill list the virii

WORM NACHI.B
    WORM MSBLAST.E
    WORM MSBLAST.F
    WORM BLUEWORM.A
    VBS DOSNYM.A

Please let me know if more information is required.

The drives have now been fully disinfected by TrendMicro , All other files / documents including music, movies etc seem to work fine. The only files that there is a problem with are (older) jpeg images. All other image file formated such as PNG,BITMAP etc are working fine.

Am i able to recover the Jpeg images ?

When (older ) jpeg images When in IrfanView the following message is brought up

Image location/name : Can't read header file !

unknown file format !

thanks