Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to find...

How to find...

Hi there,

I need your help. How will I find out if anybody is hacking my machine? Can I have something where I can see whoever is attacking my computer?

Stay Tuned

get a firewall, and a virus scanner....

a firewall will show you intrusion attempts and a virus scanner will show you any trojans or stuff as long as its up to date

I like sygate personnal firewall

i2c

Hello chaitanya, and welcome to AO.

What is it that makes you think that your machine is being "attacked"?

Can you describe what happens?

Also the details of your Operating System and Web Browser might help in the replies.

Cheers

Hi,

I think my question was misguiding. My computer is not attacked yet (?). So I actually have no idea about the type of 'attack'. We have internet connection (cable net). All I want to find is, any intrusion or attack happening to my machine(s) which is connected to internet. My o/s is Windows 2000 Professional, service pack 4 and I use IE 5.0. Ask me for any other information you need.

Thanks for helping out.

Stay tuned.

Hi,

I have downloaded ZonalAlram firewall. Thanks for your help and suggessions. But where exactly I will get the 'sygate personnal firewall' and good virus scanner (for free).

Stay Tuned.

Are there actually any free firewalls that are better than norton firewall 2004?

Have you tried Agnitum Outpost? Also, there are distros you can use on old hardware to run a hardware firewall. It is always a great project to test out.

I personally run My Windows PCs with NIS installed, behind a linux firewall (Netfilter). I have an old pc (P233) that is a crap for Windows, but its very good for Netfilter. Also Ive got a better response time (from 5% to 30%, depending on power of Windows machines) when using internet applications. Windows IP Stack (with dsl) doesnt has a good performance as Linux roaring penguin drivers
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    All I want to find is, any intrusion or attack happening to my machine(s) which is connected to internet
    chaitanya, in addition to well maintained firewall logs you could install a network sniffer/analyzer. These programs are sometimes called IDS's. (Intrusion Detection Systems). If you're not familiar with observing internet traffic in its raw form, you might want to give it a shot. Once you get the basics down, it's fairly neat to watch just how much information is sent in typical session with other computers.
    I'll flat out admit that at first it was overwhelming to see all this hexidecimal/ASCII crap flying all over the place when I was doing something as simple as checking my e-mail but, over time it started to make more sense.
    You may be wondering why I'm telling you all this. Well, for one basic reason. As good as firewall logs are, many of them don't let you break down the raw packets to see what's going on in a flagged/blocked packet. If you're seriously interested in seperating intrusion/attacks from typical internet traffic, and IDS is the way to go. Just remember though, it takes time to get used to viewing packets and understanding what the hell is going on.
    Here's a couple IDS's for Windows 2000:
    Network Activ Sniffer
    Ethereal Network Analyzer
    (and no worries, both are FREE )
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton