Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sharing files over a network

Question sharing files over a network

I have 2 computers hooked up to a router which is hooked up to a dsl line. I know there is a way to share the files on the computer hard drives so you can access one file from both computers. Or atleast i think there is a way to do it. But if there is how do you do it?

Elite Hacker
    What OS. If winXP just setup a home office network. You will need to make both computers a member of the same workgroup when you set it up. Just type in HOME for both on the workgroup, or whatever you want really. But the OS would really help us help you. Most OS's have stuff for this built in, or at least you can download it. You can get samba if on linux. Or just use an ftpserver.

Just go to my network places in winXP and there should be a link on the left to setup a network. If not, just right click my network places and go to properties. Do the same for your LAN connection. Then go to the advanced tab and at the bottom there will be a link called "Network Setup Wizard" and just run through that remembering to use the same workgroup. Good luck.

Oh and when you do get sharing turned on, just right click the folder you want to share and go to Sharing and Security... then share it. You'll probably not want to make it writeable, but you might. Just make sure you're behind a firewall if you do make it writeable.

One thing about the firewall. You'll probably have to add your network IP range to the trusted zone on your firewall so your inside computers can see the shares. Otherwise, you'll spend countless hours trying to figure out why you can't see your shared computers. lol
    =

I have windows 2000 pro and windows 98. I dont know if having two differnt OSs will be a problem.

Elite Hacker
    Shouldn't be a problem at all. I think win2000 pro is similar to winXP pro, and I have a network of 3 winXP pro boxes, one win98se box, a winXP home box, and a redhat 9 box with samba. And they all can see each other fine. As cheyenne said, if they aren't seeing each other, check your firewall config and make sure you allow traffic from the correct ip's.

You should be able to run the network setup wizard in win2000 pro, although I've never used that OS, and when you finish on one computer, it will ask you to put in the disk and run it on the other computer. Do that, and make sure you put the same workgroup for both. You may have to reboot. I could be completely wrong as I've never used win2000. But give it a shot. Just fool around with it for a while, it will work eventually.

What OS. If winXP just setup a home office network. You will need to make both computers a member of the same workgroup when you set it up. Just type in HOME for both on the workgroup, or whatever you want really. But the OS would really help us help you
    You don't have to be in the same workgroup to share files over a network in windows. You can access computers in other workgroups yust as well.

Now for a small guide to share files over your windows network using a windows 2000 or xp pc.

Step 1. Installing file and printer sharing.

on your desktop rightclick on "my network connections" and choose property's. Now rightclick on "Lan-connection" or wathever it is called. select properties again.

Look for an entry called "File and printer sharing....." if it's there go to Step 2.

If it's not click install and double click on client choose file and "printer sharing". Press OK
    close the remaining dialogs.

Step 2. Sharing a folder.

Now on your desktop(or anywhere you prefer) create a folder called test and put some useless files in it.

Open up the properties dialog for this folder.
    Now this is were xp and 2000 deviate a bit.

Under xp go to the tab sharing. you have 2 options using a wizard or doing stuff manually. I will
    let you chose wat you like.

Under 2000 go to the tab sharing and change the radio button. Select a name and description for the shared folder and have a look at the right and permission of the folder.

Step 3. Retreiving a file.

Go to the second computer and perform step 1. On it

Now go to my network places. Search for computers in workgroups. If the computer with the sared file is in the same workgroup simply doubel click on the computer fill in the password and retrieve the file.

If the computer is in a different workgroup press windows network and double click on the correct workgroup to find the computer with the shared folder.

There you go this should get you a long way.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

thanks guys ill give it a try.

In win xp when you create a network connection that is used both for file sharing and internet through a router it shows a warning describing that:this kind of network connection is not secure enough because someone malicious can access your local lan throught this connection.anyone knows a more secure wayto connect two pc's with one network card each to share files and have internet in win xp?

Just Another Geek
    teodoros: Disable File and Printer sharing on the interface that's connected to the Internet and switch on ICF.

Edit: Ooops. You seem to have a router that connects you to the Internet right? That router uses NAT so you should be safe.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

In win xp when you create a network connection that is used both for file sharing and internet through a router
    um - SirDice in answer to teodoros above you said

Disable File and Printer sharing on the interface that's connected to the Internet and switch on ICF.
    if I've understood the question correctly - using your suggestion he wouldn't be able to share his resources across the network - since he's apparently behind a router this sort of defeats the purpose of the router..... unless teodoros is using the one computer as a gateway?

Teo can you clarify what your set up is... is it something like

internet > router > LAN (consisting of several computers) OR is it

internet > main computer acting as a gateway > LAN

If it's the first then you should be ok (although TBH I don't recall that kind of warning when I set mine up like the first option)

If it's the second option (which I'm beginning to suspect it is) then whilst SirDice suggestion would make you safer it won't let you share files etc. The only other way I know of doing it would be to using a protocol other than TCP/IP e.g using IPX/SPX to share files/printers etc

Z

[edit] heh SirDice you've just beat me too it
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes