Thread: Some one got into my computer

Some one got into my computer

ok someone started to mess with me online, like hardcore trash talk, then i guess while i was talking to them they got into my system because when i was done and got off line all of my videos, music, tabs, and tutorials had been deleted. so i first went to get zone alarm. but im wondering. should i reload my whole computer since he has been in it. and also where can i get some free virus software and more firewalls. can i have more then one firewall on my computer? if he was in my computer once can he get into any time he wants to now? thanks..
    XTrue Till DeathX

Just Another Geek
    Read this post by Ms.Mittens. Answer the questions here and we may be able to help you.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

thanks

thanks for the link, I have another question, im not sure if its in that paper cause i havent got to it yet, but if he had my ip adress my friend says that he could have really jacked me. now we were chatting on aim and stuff, so im guessing thats how he got in right? is there any ways to hide your ip adress from people?
    XTrue Till DeathX

- what is your operating system and when did you last patch?
    - if you are running windows, are you running updated antivirus software (and actively running it)
    - do you have a firewall installed and running?
    - do you have spyware detection software?
    - do you share this computer with others?
    - do you use Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software like Kazaa, eDonkey, etc.? (not interested in whether you pirate or not but rather the software can open possibilities)

ok im using win98, im not running any virus protection as of right now.. ( i know i should have but all i was doing was reading, i never messed with anyone which is why i didnt think anyone would target me...i know i know...dumn to think) i didnt have a firewall before but i got zonealarm (by the way it says its only a 15 day trial) i dont think i have spyware detection. i dont share this pc with others and i was using winmx.
    XTrue Till DeathX

also when i do netstat -n or netstat -ao how do i know which one is my ip adress?
    XTrue Till DeathX

Just Another Geek
    Nobody expects to be targetted by a virus and/or trojan. That's why these things work
    As for your IP address in the netstat output, yours is usually on the left side (first collumn).
    (note: netstat -ao only works on XP AFAIK)

You can also double check your ip if you run winipcfg (start->run..->winipcfg.exe).

Edit: I can also remember a recent bug discovered in AIM. You might wanna check their website to see if they have a newer version.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Originally posted here by St.Michael
    also when i do netstat -n or netstat -ao how do i know which one is my ip adress?
    Because at the top of the netstat results it says:

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    Proto = Protocol (usually TCP or UDP_\)
    Local Address = refers to your machine and the local port (usually 127.0.0.1 or the name of the machine)
    Foreign Address = refers to the remote machine (with port used) that is connected to the local address (this includes places you visit and those that visit you)
    State = state of the connection (usually LISTENING, ESTABLISHED, TIME_WAIT, CLOSE_WAIT)

HTH
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Re: Some one got into my computer

ok someone started to mess with me online, like hardcore trash talk, then i guess while i was talking to them they got into my system because when i was done and got off line all of my videos, music, tabs, and tutorials had been deleted. so i first went to get zone alarm. but im wondering. should i reload my whole computer since he has been in it. and also where can i get some free virus software and more firewalls. can i have more then one firewall on my computer? if he was in my computer once can he get into any time he wants to now? thanks..
    Reformat your hard drive and only install applications which are on CD-ROM. The only problems with this setup is the hackers install Trojan Horses in your files which you want to install back on your computer but you can't or they will hack back in. Learn about securing Windows, your browsers and email for starters and this is only for starters.

trackit

Re: Some one got into my computer

Reformat your hard drive and only install applications which are on CD-ROM. The only problems with this setup is the hackers install Trojan Horses in your files which you want to install back on your computer but you can't or they will hack back in. Learn about securing Windows, your browsers and email for starters and this is only for starters.

trackit