View Poll Results: would you guys like AO merchandise?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • yeah

8 88.89%
  • nope

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop of the future ?

Desktop of the future ?

Sun Microsystems Desktop Project : Looking Glass

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

the desktop of the future ? any opinions ?
    -

I don't see this catching on anytime soon or even in the near future. It's going to take a sweet system with sweet RAM to keep up.

Thats pretty cool. I like what they did by makeing things look like they fliped to the side like that. Take a good look around a few API and you'll find alot of ways to make windows, the task bar, & a few other stuff look like colored glass though.

Good for them.. I think it's kind of neat.

It's going to take a sweet system with sweet RAM to keep up.
    Seeing as how it was created on a laptop in the first place, I don't think that is even an issue. It's just presenting graphics in a different manner.

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    That's pretty sweet. I'd use it, but I don't think it'll catch on any time soon.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

You can't improve on this
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    damn crgreen i never came to the idea that i put so many things in my Quick Launch, now mine looks like yours...cool

btw: i believe that we'll have enough RAM in the future to run few games Office XP and a few IE windows will run at the same time and we'll be able to switch between them instantly, because we already have what 2 GIGs of RAM..now imagine in the future we'll have 5-6 Gigs? You can load so much stuff into RAM that way you can switch between programs instantly.

MemorY, you are probably right, and with the price of ram dropping in price, should not be a problem. Tell you this though, I will stick with linux or bsd right now and do those same things with no problem and alot less ram. Not a flaimbait or anything, just my .02
    I have seen posted before, but use what works the best for you or your company. 3d desktop is pretty cool, but it will probably be awhile before it really catches on.

Good Day,

A hologram with the image literally coming up of the top of a desk, something like seen in the movies.

Now that would be quite the leap from the eye-bleeders that we use now! I bet the closest thing to that I'll get for awhile would be placing one of the 3D's on it's back.... my luck, I'd probably fall down into the canyon shown on screenshot 1.

Any ideas on the cost of the 3D's?

I believe they are planning to release it as the interface for one of their future JDSs (Java Desktop System) . The logic behind this is that they are trying to make linux catch the eye of more general desktop computer users. Their systems have linux cores and costs either $50, or $100 depending on what you want it for.
    -