Thread: WIndows XP Pro Command Line Prompts

WIndows XP Pro Command Line Prompts

Hello everyone, I have searched on google and the threads and unable to find any information on this. I am running Win XP Pro and in the past have been able to run commands such as telnet, ipconfig, etc, now when I try it it tells me it is not a recognized as a internal or external command. Any ideas on what I have done to screw this up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regal Making Handler
    The syntax is a little different than Dos,

But try this: Open cmd. Start>>run>>(type), cmd>>ok. You should now have the command prompt open. This is what you should see

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Your account name>

Type: telnet or what ever you want to use. Hit enter and it should start than app.

If you nead to no the available switches, type for example:

ipconfig /?

Notice the space befor the forward slash,

To change a directory from documents and settings for example type:

cd c:\

All the windows xp cmd apps will start from documents and settings.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Banned
    Try to type "PATH"(no quote marks) at the command prompt . If C:\Windows (or Winnt)\System32 is not in the path then add it. Rightclick My Computer and select Properties. Click the advanced tab and then click Environment Variables. Add the path to the system files in the system area by editing the existing path.

that should do it....

Thanks for all the help you both provided, I guess I just had a case of the dumb ass and forgot to check the obvious.

Thanks Again.

Someone posted this link on here a few weeks ago but I can't remember who it was.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...us/ntcmds.mspx
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn