Thread: Setting Router/Broadband Modem 4 Proxy

Setting Router/Broadband Modem 4 Proxy

Hey all,

Ive searched high and low on this topic but to no avail.

I want to surf the net anonymously, I know what your thinking, just add a proxy into IE and your good to go, well I have several machines hooked to a firewall, which goes through a DSL Modem. I want each machine behind the modem to use a proxy for all internet communications, such as surfing, email, and the rare chance i might do some port scanning. Ive messed with the modem but it contains no settings for proxy servers, neither does the firewall. Im at a loss here. Can anyone shed some light on my situation?

What about this guys, the Firewall has rules you can create. What if I made a rule telling it to send all communication outgoing to the proxy server? Would this work or cause me problems?

What if I made a rule telling it to send all communication outgoing to the proxy server? Would this work or cause me problems?
    Mmmm, I can't speak for all firewalls, but I can't recall any firewalls that allows rules to be created in that context, at least any that I've messed with.

As far as surfing the net anonymously, check out this thread:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...144#post740144

EDIT: One other comment. If you can't find an answer to your questions on Google, either you need to refine your searches ( not being judgmental ), or you are trying to do something that can't be done, hasn't been done, or nobody else has thought of. I would go with the first choice though. A search on AO of anonymous proxies....?

Just Another Geek
    What modem are you using? I have a basic setup and it works really well:

Internet-->DSL modem-->Freebsd firewallbox-->home network

It's the fbsd firewall that makes the the connection (I have to use a PPTP dialup).
    This makes it possible to use the freebsd box as a firewall and a proxy (transparently if needed).

If I read your post correctly you have a modem with a builtin firewall. It's also the modem that makes the actual connection. This would mean you would have to install a proxy on your modem and I don't think that's possible.

On the other hand, if you just want to surf anonymously you may want to read What Socks to wear?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.