Thread: New to Linux

New to Linux

About a month ago I switched from Windows 2000 to Slackware. I noticed in my research that most people believe that an antivirus program is unnecessary when running linux. I understand that the default settings for linux are more secure than the Windows defaults if you run as a user. There also seem to be far fewer viruses for linux. But if I do happen to get a virus, how will I know I have one if I am not running an antivirus program? Maybe I am just being a little paranoid but with Windows it was always an issue.
    Every man has his price. Mine is $3.95.

Just Another Geek
    I suggest installing a virusscanner. Eventhough you probably only need it to inform a friend that he send you a virus. It doesn't hurt to have just that extra bit of protection.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Don't execute anything you don't trust....

Since most *nix mail clients don't run scripts etc. automatcally then it requires human action to launch a virus - Just be careful.

There are some *nix virus scanners (McAffee Do One I Think - Try Google) that will allow you to scan a suspect file before doing anything with it - But 'don't run anything you don't trust' serves me well.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Originally posted here by steve.milner
    Don't execute anything you don't trust....

Since most *nix mail clients don't run scripts etc. automatcally then it requires human action to launch a virus - Just be careful.

There are some *nix virus scanners (McAffee Do One I Think - Try Google) that will allow you to scan a suspect file before doing anything with it - But 'don't run anything you don't trust' serves me well.

Steve
    Not to mention, he would have to give it execute permission even before he runs it, right?

For a free linux av, try f-prot or bdc. I have tried both, and found them to be quite capable...at catching windows viruses

You jumped from Windows to Slackware? Kudo's to you, I started with Mandrake because it felt like a Windows box (without the bullshyt). Slowly I moved my way up though so everythings good Anyways, definitely install AV software. Always be concious of what programs you open or download.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Also checking for rootkits (unix word for trojan ) is realy helpfull..

A friend of mine got "infected" with a rootkit via an exploit in his ftp daemon once..
    It was a good thing(tm) he periodicaly checks for these rootkits and had a seperate firewall so the rootkit wasn't utilized (unable to connect)..

the two most used rootkit detectors are..

chkrootkit http://www.chkrootkit.org/
    and the new
    rkhunter http://www.rootkit.nl/
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

CA has eTrust 7 for nix, and Sophos are two very good nix based VirusScanners. I currently run Gentoo and Linspire and I have had no problems with either OS and Virii as of yet.

Thanks for the advice

All of the posts were very helpful. I did install some antivirus software and rkhunter.
    Every man has his price. Mine is $3.95.

Re: New to Linux

Originally posted here by Amishtechie
    About a month ago I switched from Windows 2000 to Slackware. I noticed in my research that most people believe that an antivirus program is unnecessary when running linux. I understand that the default settings for linux are more secure than the Windows defaults if you run as a user.
    The Evils of Default Security (tutorial) By: catch
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=252694

Sorry could not resist it!