Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: create and modify services in windows

I'm with horse, JinX and Nihil on this one - why the hell would you want to kill a process thats trying to protect your computer anyway?!?!?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Zone: Cos daddy, (the admin), put it there and stupid can't download something he wants????

Just a thought.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Tiger... you know - its times like this I'm damn glad I don't have and don't intend on having kids.... I am obviously overlooking the obvious - thank you for reminding me to be suspicious again

You'll have to forgive me - I'm on a second bottle of wine tonight and my thought processes have gone to treacle (that and a 3 1/2 hour meeting that really did my head in earlier today hasn't helped).

"Methinks she protests too loudly" (Bill Shakespeare)

There is something going on here?...............not too sure what, but why are all these questions going in one direction?

It almost sounds as if a hack journalist is trying to dish some dirt on AO?............like "and they told me how to do this"

As I said................check out this person's posts of late.................unidirectional? and I have not negged once, just commented?

Cheers

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I've read all of his/her posts and I too feel that something is out of place. Because the questions display a clear lack of technical understanding, my opinion falls along the lines of a fishing expedition. In other words, this person must have heard or read something that he/she does not fully understand. By throwing the questions out the way they are worded, this person must believe that the general population here are morons or that we may feel empathy for a n00b and delve out the missing information that he/she wants.

Bottom line, until intentions are made clear (fat chance) don't feed the bears.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

gee, what a lot of replies, and a lot of childisch ones too!!!
    first of all,

i'm admin to my system and it is a legit copy, second of all, i don't want to modify any services of windows, just norton, since this is what's bothering me... i've bought a notebook with win xp on it, but on the recovery cd's there is norton installed with the os, and i would like another virusscanner.... nn
    that's why i would kike to kill it, so i can delete it!

as for all the other comments, yes i'm still learning, but who doesn't?

and when i see something that i don't understand, i'll go and see if i can find an answer to it....

b.t.w. i'm not a child anymore, my age is 25, born on 16 february 1979, for that matter...

o yeah, one last thing, i'm learning MSCE at the moment, to become a network administrator, but with that study, some questions may pop up, that's why i ask them....

believe it or not, that's your choice, but if i wanted to do something destructive, there are other channels i can get information from....
    the only reason i don't use that channels, is cause i don't want to do anything destructive and i trust the answers that are given here more then the replies on hackers/crackers sites / irc....

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Lep:

and i would like another virusscanner
    Er.... Ever thought of uninstalling Norton through the control panel? That usually takes it away..... Ever thought of going into Services, disabling it and restarting the box.... That usually gets rid of services too..... Ever thought of going to the registry and removing it fromthe list of services? I've had that work too......

i'm learning MSCE at the moment
    I dunno, but I think this demonstrates what I have said for years.... Those nice little pieces of paper don't necessarily mean squat...... You seem not to have tried the things I suggested above which implies you don't know they are potential solutions for your problem. I don't know how far you are along in your course but I hope they cover this before you finish.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

ok...
    i'm admin to my system and it is a legit copy
    yes anyone can say that - you can't proove it and at the moment we don't trust you - do you know how many times we have seen similar requests?

i don't want to modify any services of windows
    tskmgr.exe??? another thread I know - but we do read most of the things that get posted you know - putting all together does create a rather suspicious profile of you

but on the recovery cd's there is norton installed with the os, and i would like another virusscanner.... nn that's why i would kike to kill it, so i can delete it!
    fair enough - I don't like norton either. However shouldn't nortons uninstaller handle this? It should do...

bear in mind you also asked
    how do you modify a existing service
    how else are we supposed to take that?

as for all the other comments, yes i'm still learning, but who doesn't?
    only those people who are dead stop learning (and thats debatable if you want to get metaphysical) - fair comment so help us to learn about you so we can see if we trust you - anything wrong with that?

b.t.w. i'm not a child anymore, my age is 25, born on 16 february 1979, for that matter
    fine thats nice but this isn't necessarily borne out from your replies - I'm 31 but people like Nihil and TigerShark are a tad older than me. The age doesn't matter - maybe you're just not so cynical as some. thats not meant as an insult to anyone btw

o yeah, one last thing, i'm learning MSCE at the moment, to become a network administrator, but with that study, some questions may pop up, that's why i ask them....
    thats nice - but we aren't psychic how in the hell are we supposed to know that straight off?? Also the problem with being cynical is that we have heard of things called lies - I'm not calling you a liar but a lot of people here have heard similar things before from people who were less than reputable.

the only reason i don't use that channels, is cause i don't want to do anything destructive and i trust the answers that are given here more then the replies on hackers/crackers sites / irc....
    fair enough - why don't you hang around for a bit, help others out where you can - let us get to know you better before you expect answers to questions like the above?

I'm being optimistic today - can anyone tell?

Z

Ah!

Now if you had said that all you wanted to do was replace Norton, I would have understood.

I would recommend booting into safe mode and doing it from there. If you try to do it in a normal Windows sesssion stuff will get left behind that may cause you problems later. That seems to be a fairly common problem with Norton?

REMEMBER! if you are using the XP Recovery Point System, you need to create a manual one as soon as you have uninstalled, or it will obviously come back if you do a restore.

That should do the trick for you.

thanks for the replies.... this is somewhat strange.... always when i come to this site i click the link "new posts" but i missed the replies on this one... as on some others... why is this?

i sometimes do a search for all my posts and that's how i saw the replies... but this happens only once a week or so, so sorry for my late reaction....

grtz

and i'll keep in mind to be more detailed about my goal!