Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Xp user type

Windows Xp user type

is there an actual file somewhere that controls what type of user somebody is on windows xp. What i mean is if you are administrator and you log in, you go to the control panel and can change the user type of differant users. When you do this is there a file somewhere, that is only accessible to administrators that changes. I ask because i have been reduced to a non admin account on my windows xp box at home. The plan is to place a program in the startup folder of my dads account so that when he logs on it will run and make me back into an admin. Any help you guys(gurls) can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
    Even if your plane crashed tonight you\'d find some way to disappoint by not burning in the wreckage or drowning at the bottom of the sea

Sounds like some l33t SocialEngineering mr. new_b_l33t..

Just ask your dad to give you back admin rights..
    If your dad doesn't want you to be an admin.. all the more power to him..

I wouldn't let my newby 1337 son/doughter play as admin either . . .
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Your Father has reduced you to non-administrative rights because he believes you could better spend the time learning to read.....

How do I know this?

1. I am _very_ smart!
    2. I am at least as old as your father, possibly older..... Therefore extremely wise like he is!
    3. You clearly failed to comprehend the first page you were presented with when you visited this site.

Had you read that page and understood it you would have found that slinking into AO asking us how to circumvent your, (obviously smarter than you), father's rules is frowned upon here. I bet he would have read and understood the first page..... It's a mark of wisdom, maturity and good sense.

You have physical access to the box...... Learn how the damned thing works!!!!!!!!!!
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thanks for the help GUYS!!!!
    Even if your plane crashed tonight you\'d find some way to disappoint by not burning in the wreckage or drowning at the bottom of the sea

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Go to your father.
    Sit down with him.
    Bring him a beer and a cigar.
    Talk with him about the mysteries of life.
    Ask him about growing up at the beginning of the technological revolution.
    Ask Dad for admin rights.
    When he says no, bring him another beer and another cigar.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

lol [bold]11001001[/bold] nice post, guessing from the lack of any really technical answer that windows xp user permissions are a bit more complicated than changing a single file. Whatever thanks for reading the thread guys!(gurls too)

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    new: 11001001's answer was actually incomplete. The final instruction is "Repeat until done"....

Yes, you are correct. Windows NT/XP security is a lot more complicated than altering a single file... and the real problem comes when you try to access any file concerned with the security of the computer. Even your dad can't get to some of them under normal circumstances because the system itself locks out all access except it's own. However, as with most things security related, there are ways around that... Ways that I don't condone..... Your dad has his reasons for removing your admin rights and no matter how petty and stupid you think the reasons may be they are his reasons and he has every right, as the owner of the computer, to enforce them.

You would be astounded at how many of my friends, (the ones silly enough to allow their children to reach puberty when they know all things and us old fuddy duddy's are just senile old farts), computers are royally messed up by the surfing, chatting etc. habits of their pubescent offspring. At a minimum it costs them a good meal to get their computer back to a usable state.... Sometimes more....

Now, as I said in my first post. You have physical access to the box. Learn about what that means. Then when you know that you will need to know what it is that you need to know about the box and it's files to get the most important one. From there you can work out how to get it. Once you have it you should be able to work out what you need to do with it. Once you have done that you own your daddy's shiney new computer. From there you need to work out how to prevent daddy from finding out that you own his computer not him. When you have done all that you'll almost be ready for employment in my world...... If you fail you'll still be grounded when they bury you!!!!!!

The answers are out there.... Find them..... By the time you know the answers the task will seem silly, because there will be so many more questions that interest you and your dad will have no choice but to buy you your own computer.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Dad said "no" there are reasons for that.....
    i had a dad who said no.... and well i was grounded more times then i wasnt when i was at home

And when you jack it up soooo bad and relize that you deleted all of dads tax files, and he gets audited then well simply put your screwed......

however since im feeling nice im going to give you a link, but only on the condition that when you do jack up your "Dads" (not yours in any way shape or form)computer and your dad beats you to a bloody pulp that you post pictures so we can laugh @ you :-D
    lol

Click only if you want Dad mad
    I toor\'d YOU!

i already how to understand how to get the sam file with knoppix, then run sam inside and l0pht crack, (i gave a presentation on it to my speech class on how to make more secure passwords that can't be dictionary cracked). Are user types contained in the SAM file?

Why do you want admin rights? Answer me that without saying "So I can install Kazza," "So I can use Regedit to 'Fix' the computer," or "Just cause" and I will help you get admin rights.

If I had a public box (a.k.a their was someone aside from me working on the same box) I would also make sure that that person had no admin rights. Just be fair with the situation. If obiously have other family members using that same computer, so do you think they should all have admin rights as well?

My final point, the reason that all the people here are being "asses" about their responses is that they have to set up BIG networks that consist of more than a single computer. When after all of their hard work of setting them all up, connecting them, and setting up user rights, some punk kid downloads a trojen that infects all of the computers on the network...They might get somewhat pissed.

I know that you are just going to completely ignore all of this that I just said, so the only two ways to get admin rights (without the possibility of effing up your box) is to

A.) Crack the sam file
    B.) Change your level when your dad is still logged on

Sorry for the ramble, I just wanted to talk and I decided to just screw order.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-