Thread: Windows 2000 professional

Windows 2000 professional

I recently upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional and I was wondering what does everyone think about Windows 2000 any huge security bugs? what's your opinion about it? etc. I didn't upgrade to Windows XP since my CD-RW burner doesn't support it. And in your opinion what is the best Windows Operating System and why? and in your opinion what is the best Linux distribution?

Windows 2000 appears to have fewer security problems than Windows XP, at least in my experience (having used both versions side by side for a long time now). However, you should definitely apply service pack 4 if you haven't already because it fixes a wide range of issues. Also, make sure you check Windows Update once a month (more frequently if you have a faster internet connection or aren't charged per-minute for your calls) to keep up to date with the latest security updates.

Personally, I've always preferred Windows 2000 to XP, because it's always been more reliable and less crash-prone, although that could just be the machines that I've tried it on. I also like the way that 2000 doesn't try to hold your hand every step of the way like XP does, although you can make XP look and feel like 2000 if you change some options. However, XP does have some features that I like, such as minimising Windows Media Player to a cool little control on the status bar (although that's a bit redundant now that I use iTunes for all my music).

In my opinion the best Linux distribution depends on what exactly you want from it. However, I have found that Fedora (effectively Red Hat Linux 10 for non-entreprise users) works exceptionally well for me, with excellent driver support and an easy update system.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Their no best OS.

Windows 2000 with SP4 is very good in security, bug fix but it's easy to learn, a lot of the option are hide deep. But if you know your way around, 2000 is the best for It profesionnal.

Windows XP is good for look, easy to use, drivers, days to days work. Less secure because it's newer but it's the best day to day users.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

SDK: I know there is no best OS which is why I said "In your opinion" :P
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

my experince with win2000 has been good but to tell about XP is not worth it and i consider win2000 to be the best in the windows series
    Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire

IMHO, I use 2K pro over XP any given day. I like the way 2K lets you change settings, and the stability. So far, in comparison to the previous OSs (95 98 ME), it wins by far. I like the fact that its networking capabilities are strong, and the fact that, like someone mentioned, you dont have to feel "stupid" as XP makes you feel by walking you step by step for simple commands. As for linux, from the distros that i have personally tried, I like knoppix alot and equally I like Suse. I tried College Linux, but have yet to successfully get it installed. Just my advice, take it for what its worth, I would do what I did, and download the Live CDs, bootable linux cds, that way, you can boot from the CD and if per chance you dont like the OS, simply reboot without the CD in the drive, no changes made to your current OS. Good luck with Win 2K
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Originally posted here by Raion
    SDK: I know there is no best OS which is why I said "In your opinion" :P
    It's depend what you gonna do with the computer? Work? Gaming? Surfting Internet!

For fun with a computer, XP is the top!

For workstation in a domain, 2000 is the top!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

hey i would really recommend you to give Linux SuSe a try after all it's FREE. it has a lot to offer.

you can go and choose to download any linux os in www.linuxiso.org
    what thizz it[gloworange][color=#daff00][/color[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]

AOs Resident Troll
    510jesus

the posts you are repling to....are old

That is why the date is flashing

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Banned
    Thanks MLF... you beat me to it

*Thread closed*