Thread: Windows 2000 running FAT32

Question Windows 2000 running FAT32

I have a windows 2000 computer running on a FAT32 file system. I was told after i installed it that it was supposed to run on a NTFS. I am not sure if it will cause any problems or major proformence issues. It doesnt have a drive converter on the computer. I was wondering if thaving it as a FAT would not be good and if it would be worth it to reinstall windows or if there is a way to convert without reinstalling. I dont really want to reinstall.

Banned
    The advantages of NTFS over FAT are numerous. Here is a Microsoft introduction to the different file systems.

Converting a drive from FAT to NTFS is easy and won't make you lose any data.

On a command prompt (Start --> Run --> cmd), type
    Code:
    convert C: /fs:ntfs
    where C is your hard drive. fs obviously stands for file system.

AFAIK the only reason you would run Win2k on a FAT partition is if you were using other operating systems that cannot see NTFS.

NTFS is supposed to be more efficient and secure, or so I have read. It is designed for NT based OSes anyway.

I don't think that you can convert FAT32 to NTFS, except perhaps with some third party software. I don't think I would want to go that way, even if it were possible, a re-install onto an NTFS partition would be a lot cleaner, although a bit of a pain.

Just my thoughts

EDIT: Thanks Negative, I did not realise it was that easy!..............you live and learn

Thinking about it a bit more you might want to do that if you were upgrading from 9x to XP?

Regal Making Handler
    Leaving the drive Fat patitioned should not cause any perfomance issues that i am aware of. You could have a look at Microsoft Support to see if there are any issues.

However the NTFS file system is a more secure system than fat 32. You should consider converting for that reason if nothing ell's.

I have not used win 2000 very much but i think as with Xp you can use the convert utilty.

If you open a command prompt. Start>>run>>type cmd>>click ok.

Then type: convert [drive letter]:/FS:NTFS
    This will start the convert utilty and change your drive to ntfs.

Edit. i just checked you can convert win 2000 to ntfs. Have a look at the link for the full info.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=win2000

Bugger, the two above beat me to it
    Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

dude go for it. the only performace problem that it might cause you is that it would better you os
    what thizz it[gloworange][color=#daff00][/color[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]

Banned
    I hope he already went for it since he asked about it ten months ago...