Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless internet sucurity

Question wireless internet sucurity

what is best for secureing wireless high speed internet (i.e. firewalls routers) ?, also what if any security problems will i encounter with wireless internet? ,if needed here is my computer info amd duron 1.2 ghrtz, 512mb of sdram, windows xp pro, sygate personal firewall pro ,norton system works

Use a router, lock it, firewall it, read its logs and learn about its vulnerabilites and patch them up.

I use a D-Link Wireless router, and have changed the password, the SSID, and am using WEP @ 64 bit encryption.
    I am in the process of researching any known vulnebilities, but as yet I haven't come accross any. I actually went with the cheapest router I could find through Best Buy, Circuit City, and Staples. This one was bought at Staples.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Re: wireless internet sucurity

Originally posted here by romanticcowboy
    what is best for secureing wireless high speed internet (i.e. firewalls routers) ?, also what if any security problems will i encounter with wireless internet? ,if needed here is my computer info amd duron 1.2 ghrtz, 512mb of sdram, windows xp pro, sygate personal firewall pro ,norton system works
    A Survey of 802.11a Wireless Security
    Threats and Security Mechanisms

These recommendations include:
    · Mutual Authentication
    · Layer two encrypted tunnel
    · Strong cryptographic integrity verification

Without these features, not only is a WLAN vulnerable, but the entire information
    infrastructure of which it is a part is at risk. We also recommend per-packet
    authentication
    although we would not go so far as to make it a requirement.

SANS InfoSec Reading Room - Wireless Acccess

I always refer people to SANS... And with good reason. They have some great stuff. I even have a link in my signature

Good luck.

mjk

Regardless of the amount of locked routers, internal encryption and authentication, and or other hardware and software attempts to secure a wireless connection the fact that any machine is vulnerable just by the nature of sending and receiving airborne signal. The current posts provide valid and valuable advice particularly in the learning area and I would just add a not if your are willing to go a little deeper. From w2k forward learn about the internal ip security and port filtering capabilities of your o\s and try them out. It may me an interesting experience in closing the door.

my apologies concerning spelling. (thats just add a note not a not)

Originally posted here by alttec
    Regardless of the amount of locked routers, internal encryption and authentication, and or other hardware and software attempts to secure a wireless connection the fact that any machine is vulnerable just by the nature of sending and receiving airborne signal. The current posts provide valid and valuable advice particularly in the learning area and I would just add a not if your are willing to go a little deeper. From w2k forward learn about the internal ip security and port filtering capabilities of your o\s and try them out. It may me an interesting experience in closing the door.
    Actually, wireless can be very secure "line of site" DoD applies that I believe.

Regal Making Handler
    As well as all the good stuff above look at reducing the footprint of your wlan, this will make it more difficult for someone to intersept emitted radio waves from your equipment.

Possition equipment so as to reduce signal paths outside of your working area.

jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Banned
    *Moved from Newbie Security Questions*