Thread: LAN problem. How to set up a Lan Game?

LAN problem. How to set up a Lan Game?

I have a mini Lan a home! Both WIN 2000!

I tried to make a Game Lan but doesnt work!

I have installed a protocol IPX
    And set both to:
    internal network number:00000000
    Frame type:Autodetect

What else did i miss out?
    Will to Learn
    javascript:myimagepopup(300,400,\'\')

Do you not need TCP? install that. Make sure you both have different computer names. make sure the subnet mask is the same.

If that means nothing to you use microsofts network set up.

IPX = Internetwork Packet Exchange, a networking protocol used by the Novell NetWare. You wont be needing that to play games..

whats the hardware set up like? crossover cable? or hub/switch?

i2c

Regal Making Handler
    IPX = Internetwork Packet Exchange, a networking protocol used by the Novell NetWare. You wont be needing that to play games..
    Actualy i believe some games do require ipx be installed. Had to install it on a friends box for a game, the name of which escapes.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Also, do you have a firewall up? THat could be blocking your LAN server.
    =

Originally posted here by i2c
    Do you not need TCP? install that. Make sure you both have different computer names. make sure the subnet mask is the same.

If that means nothing to you use microsofts network set up.

whats the hardware set up like? crossover cable? or hub/switch?

i2c

Originally posted here by jinxy

Actualy i believe some games do require ipx be installed. Had to install it on a friends box for a game, the name of which escapes.

Jinxy

Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    Also, do you have a firewall up? THat could be blocking your LAN server.
    ADSL Router is used! Basically they are able to share files in a same domain.
    So basically their communication is OK!

I will try the firewall thingy again!

But to make things clear .Am i right to say that , if i want to set up a gaming LAN hmm... "Diablo II" for example , basically i just need only get my TCP/IP protocol up right?.
    And Nothing else....

PC 1 :
    IP address: 10.0.0.13
    subnet : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.0.0.12

Preferred DNS :10.0.0.12

PC2
    IP address : 10.0.0.12
    subnet :255.255.255.0
    Gateway : 10.0.0.12

Preferred DNS 10.0.0.12

Will to Learn
    javascript:myimagepopup(300,400,\'\')

Regal Making Handler
    I'm no gaming fan but if you look through the game setup it should tell you what protical the game uses. This is how i got a friends gaming problem sorted out as ipx is not installed by default in xp. To get his game to run on his lan installing ipx was all that was neaded. He also uses a router.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Maybe its me, maybe I'm tired and drunk right now, but I thought IP addresses that started with 10.x.x.x. used 255.0.0.0 or 255.255.0.0 for subnet masks.

What firewall are you using?
    also make sure the windows firewall isnt on.
    =

cheyenne1212, i think a 10.x.x.x address can have a 255.255.255.0 subnet or any other valid subnet. i'm 10.0.0.3 w/subnet of 255.255.255.0

novkhan, does the game give you any error messages? can you see the host server? do your games have different serials? i know of a few games that can't do a network game if two comptuers have the same serials. is your ipx the 'nwlink ipx/spx/netbios compatible transport protcol'?