Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on cutting your own cat5

advice on cutting your own cat5

can anyone point to me to a tutorial on cutting my own cat5 w/ pictures. do you guys have any advice on what tools do i need. i'm getting tired of going to radio shack every time i need 2 feet from switch to a wall...

any advice or URL appriciated

thanx

rabit,

I haven't checked the link but it's probably a good one. If I can make a suggestion here, having learned from past adverse cuttings......always give yourself about a foot extra on your cable. If you buy the cheaper RJ45's you'll find some of them don't like to crimp and will actually slide past one of the wires. You'll get a lot of practice that way though...lol

enjoy, I like to do it myself as well.

cheers

just a quick question/note

the crossover cable is the one that you'd use from PC to PC and patch cable is the regular (router to PC/switch to PC) ??? right???

A straight-through cable(patch) is used from workstation to hub/switch to patch panel to hub/switch.

A crossover is used for workstation to workstation or from switch to switch.

If they reference T568-A & T568-B at that site, a cross over will have T568-A on one end and T568-B on the other.

cheers

Edit: forgot the rollover cable. It is used to connect a workstation to the console port on a router or switch.

That site does reference T568-A & T568-B. The equipment is on the "not so cheap" side, but is burley as hell, so Im sure buying used is a great idea. After a little bit of practice, making connections gets really easy. Next time you go to radioshack, just have the guy show you how he does it, maybe he can offer more tips.
    severe limitation

rabit,

As to the other part of your question:

Tools/Resources needed:

Cat5 Cable
    RJ45 Connectors
    RJ45 Connnector Crimping Tool
    A pair of wire cutters
    Diagram of T568-A & T568-B
    and a Ethernet cable tester of some sort. (you can use a normal voltmeter if you already have one, and check each wire (on the pins) for continuity to help keep the cost down.)

good luck

where should i get all this stuff... home depot... comp usa ... is there a discout place to get it

Dead Man Walking
    you can buy the cat5 cable and ends at circut city or best buy AFAIK. i bought me crimper at radio shack. The box of connectors had the diagram on it.

If it's not for a proffessional job, just cut a short, pre-made cable in half and splice in as much extra as you need, this saves you from excessive crimping headaches...

EDIT: Buy the cable at Home Depot, riser rated cat5e is about 15 cents a foot there.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.