Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: advice on cutting your own cat5

  1. #11
    what's a "riser rated cat5e" ... i don't get the "riser rated" part ???

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Hello again,

    Riser cable is used when the cable will run vertically in a multi-floor bldg in flooring wiring risers.

    and while I'm at rated means: cable that is to be run in air spaces, usually above dropped ceilings or underneath elevated flooring.

    UTP means unshielded twisted pair.


  3. #13
    Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Vermont, USA
    You can get a great economical toolkit from cyberguys.

    "Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

  4. #14
    Rabit: an FYI

    Here is a quick explanation of the two different types of cat5, so called "riser", and plenum grade.

    Riser is your standard cat5, stuff you use for patch cables, wiring a small network, or dropping through risers coming from the ceiling.

    Plenum grade is meant for running through ceilings, drop ceilings, attics, etc. It is made so if when heated, it does not emit a toxic gas into the air. Plenum grade does cost about 3 times as much as the standard.
    severe limitation

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts