Thread: Determining IP Address

Question Determining IP Address

Ok, I need help with an IP address situation. I'm trying to set up a server to run terminal services, and I need a computer outside of the LAN to connect to it via terminal services client. However, ipconfig ony gives me the LAN IP address (192.168....). I tried going to some websites that tell you your IP, but our router is interfering so that it reports the wrong IP address. So how do I figure out what this server's IP is outside of the LAN so that I can connect to terminal server?

You should be able to log into your router. And somewhere it should say WAN IP thats your true IP.

what kind of router you using?
    =

They have an Efficient Networks, Inc. Speedstream router. (This is a nonprofit I'm voluntarily helping out with their network.) Thing is, they don't know the IP of their router. Is there a way I can figure that out so I can log in to it?

angelic the default IP for most speedstreams is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.254.254 - have you tried logging onto either of those with a web browser? You'll need the password of course!

alternatively try googling for the manual for your model of speedstream if the above don't work - should be on the net (most of them are) and it should say something about it in there
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Angelic: The little problem in this scenario is that if you have no control over the router then you aren't going to be able to tell it to forward port 3389 to the internal device. So until you get control you are a little bit *screwed*

As far as finding the WAN address attempt to connect to your home computer. Note the time. go home and look through the firewall logs at that time. The address that matches the time is your WAN address.

There was a thread about these routers and it seems like they are a bitch to get into... search AO for netstream and you should find it in the last month.

If it becomes impossible to get into or get support for, (whine like hell about being a non-profit, hit them in the "guilty bone".... It works for me ), then it might be worth your while replacing it.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just Another Geek

Re: Determining IP Address

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    {..} but our router is interfering so that it reports the wrong IP address. So how do I figure out what this server's IP is outside of the LAN so that I can connect to terminal server?
    The router is not interfering and the sites are telling you the correct address.
    I think you need to read up on what NAT (Network Address Translation) is and how it works.

This router has (at least) 2 ip addresses. It has 1 public address and it's this address all those sites are telling you. The router also has an 'inside' address. If configured correctly you can only configure it using it's inside address. Usually the other hosts on the inside have this address as their default gateway. But YMMV.

After you've figured this out you'll need to do what Tiger told you; you'll need to configure a port on the outside so it'll connect to a server on the inside.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I know not if this will help but, Whenever I am having problem with caraudio components I will reach the manufactorer on there product and they being the experts of there own goodies usually help me..just a thought..

see ya

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by pZargs
    I know not if this will help but, Whenever I am having problem with caraudio components I will reach the manufactorer on there product and they being the experts of there own goodies usually help me..just a thought..
    RTFM usually helps too But on the other hand, you can RTFM as much if you want if you don't understand what you're reading you're still screwed. I've found google groups to be a great help. 999 out of 1000 times you're not the first that's trying to tackle the problem.
    Oliver's Law:

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by pZargs
    RTFM usually helps too But on the other hand, you can RTFM as much if you want if you don't understand what you're reading you're still screwed. I've found google groups to be a great help. 999 out of 1000 times you're not the first that's trying to tackle the problem.
    Oliver's Law: