Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows eats RAM?

Windows eats RAM?

My computer has crashed alot lately, and I think its due to my RAM. I have 1024MB of RAM in this computer. It may also be my hard drive though. I had a set of 1.25GB or ram in my computer earlier, different that this RAM, and the same crashes happened, which makes me lean toward it being my hard drive.

I have Windows XP home, with quite alot of files on my computer (26.5GB out of the 37GB drive).

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Banned
    I dont think it's a RAM problem, i have 390 MB, more proccesses then you running, and more RAM used. and more CPU used....must be something else.. do the usual check for viruses, use Norton Sstem Doctor to see if your computer has any problems....check for ad-aware, etc....

I have ran Ad-Aware many times, with no problems (including today). Ill check for viruses in a few hours. I've also tried Spybot - Search and Destroy, but eventually it crashes my computer, at around 5000/12000 files. I dont have Norton System Works.

Banned
    I dont have Norton System Works.
    hrmm, if you dont have the money to buy it....what are crackers for . I know i shouldnt be saying that you should download it, but to save ur computer, do it...

With Norton SW, also comes a program called Roxio GoBack... if your computer crashes, you can restore it at bootup to an earlier saved point...yeah the go-back file does take up to 4 Gigs, but it's worth it...

Well Im not exactly up to date on cracked versions of such programs, so do you know where I can get Norton SW?

Banned
    well go to google and search for Kazaa Lite K++. download it install it, or if u have a highspeed, you may want to download e-donkey or DC++.

if you really cant find it, IM me at XML Ph7 and i'll send the setup to you....

Re: Windows eats RAM?

Originally posted here by philman213
    My computer has crashed alot lately, and I think its due to my RAM. I have 1024MB of RAM in this computer. It may also be my hard drive though. I had a set of 1.25GB or ram in my computer earlier, different that this RAM, and the same crashes happened, which makes me lean toward it being my hard drive.

I have Windows XP home, with quite alot of files on my computer (26.5GB out of the 37GB drive).

Any and all help would be appreciated.
    i had the same problem. there r some processes/prog's/dll that r running together... i could not even run msconfig to try to fix it . i had to reformatt and reinstall everything man what a pain. but now i have more progs running with no problem

So all I have to do is reinstall windows xp? Whew, thats alot better than I thought. At first I thought I might have to spend about 60 dollars on a new hard drive or 90 dollars on new RAM.

And no one is going to ask about heat? What type of processor do you have again? RAM gives off heat too, maybe you should try buying some cooler cases for RAM. Heat can make a machine crash easy, and with the more hardware you put in, the more chances you have for heat, and the need to get it out fo the case.

With what you listed, I'd say to put on cases on all the RAM in that, get a GOOD CPU fan, a HD cooler, an exhaust fan, and then see how it works out.

In other words, spend an assload of money on parts.

I have a AMD Athlon XP 1700+,
    2 sticks of 512MB of RAM,
    a Soltek SL-75DRV4 ,
    this case,
    Windows XP home,
    this video card.

I doubt heat would be the problem, it just doesnt seem to be able to make a computer to crash. I used to have this computer overheating and making stupid beeping noises all the time 3 years ago) in the summer.