Thread: sygate not detecting data!!

Banned

sygate not detecting data!!

hi.
    I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall..but since the last few days the firewall doesn't show the icon at the taskbar which means that data is flowing either to or from my computer..it just shows the grey arrows which mean that no data is flowing.Although I am surfing the web or chatting with people,etc.When I check my logs there is nothing in them.What do you guys think is causing the problem??

Ali1,

Generally when the icon is not present, the firewall is not active as you know. Since I don't what operating system you have or the version of Sygate, I would recommend that you visit the Sygate Site. There they can address your specific problem with their product and your operating system.

They have quite the extensive forum on troubleshooting and after only a short review of their posts, your problem was listed there. "SPF ceased auto-loading on startup" Here's the link:

http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthre...ing+at+startup

http://forums.sygate.com/vb/index.php?

cheers

Regal Making Handler
    You may have inadvertently changed some of the settings look to see if it is enabled on boot up. If this is not the problem then do as suggested above you may have for some reason damaged it in some way try re-installing it.

jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

when explorer.exe crashes (i'm runnin xp by the way) it auto starts itself up again, and most of the icons reload themselves, expcept for sygates firewall tray icon. I open it from the desktop icon and it shows previous data from min. or seconds prior to opening, proving that it was active and protecting my computer, just not on the system tray. So i dont think it has to be on the system tray to be active and working, i havnet really dug deep enough into the problem to figure it out, and i dont think there is a program like "smc_tray.exe" or anything.

It sounds like the icon is there, it is just not displaying signs of activity noted by the blue or red arrows and further confirmed in the traffic logs. This is not an exact issue I have seen before on the support forums before.

I would like to ask if there has been any changes to your system at the time of this change?

Microsoft patches? Any software or hardware changes?

Can you find any errors with Dr.Watson or Eventviewer (depending on version of Windows)?

Does the SPF debug log offer any clues?
    $pak = me;

Banned
    Originally posted here by pak
    It sounds like the icon is there, it is just not displaying signs of activity noted by the blue or red arrows and further confirmed in the traffic logs. This is not an exact issue I have seen before on the support forums before.

I would like to ask if there has been any changes to your system at the time of this change?

Microsoft patches? Any software or hardware changes?

Can you find any errors with Dr.Watson or Eventviewer (depending on version of Windows)?

Does the SPF debug log offer any clues?
    yes this is the problem..sorry i forgot to tell that I run windows 98..and the version of sygate is
    5.5..the firewall does load at start up it doesn't show those arrows and doesn't show any activity in the logs..and there haven't been any changes like you mentioned..this is what Dr.Watson says:
    If the Taskbar is behaving strangely, try exiting Cicero Loader.

Module Name: CTFMON.EXE
    Description: Cicero Loader
    Version: 1.00.2409.7 built by: Lab06_N
    Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

any suggestions?

Ali1,

Did you go to the Sygate Site? I fixed the link above, but here it is again:

http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthre...ing+at+startup

The person who started this thread at Sygate had exactly the same problem you did and was using win98. They re-installed the firewall and it worked normally after that.

I have reinstalled the program and will wait and see what happens. It has loaded automatically so far!
    If you want to check to see if it is even shows up in startup just click on start > run > type in "msconfig" in the space > click ok > click on the startup tab > scroll down and see if it is displayed. If it is displayed but there is no check mark in the box, just click on the appropriate box to put a check mark in it > press ok, and then reboot your computer. Under those conditions it should once again load on startup.

Of course you can always try to start it manually to see if that will work. Click on start > programs > find the firewall > expand to the right > click on the icon. If that works find the options menu in the program and see if you can reselect "load on startup".

If it is not listed in the startup and if it won't start manually, then I would recommend installing the firewall again. Might as well pick the latest version while you're at it.

Check with Sygate to see if you need to uninstall the previous version first.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

cheers

Banned
    well...i ended the program Cftmon as advised by Dr.Watson,and now the firewall is running!!thanks everybody!