Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MAC Access Control List

Just Another Geek
    With these types of switches why not simply turn on port security?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Port security is a misnomer. It just allows the first MAC address it sees access until it disconnects and ages out. It doesn't specify who is allowed to connect. I don't believe wildcards are supported in Cisco's IOS version of port security. So you can't just allow certain UIDs to connect.
    And as far as Cisco's switches are concerned thay leave allot to be desired. They make a hell of a router but switches they stink at.

It goes along with the old industry saying....."No one ever got fired for buying Cisco."

IMHO - there are far better and less expensive and more exandable and more feature filled switches on the market than Cisco. They'd be my last choice, uh, next to Extreme that is.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Port security is a misnomer. It just allows the first MAC address it sees access until it disconnects and ages out. It doesn't specify who is allowed to connect. I don't believe wildcards are supported in Cisco's IOS version of port security. So you can't just allow certain UIDs to connect.
    And as far as Cisco's switches are concerned thay leave allot to be desired. They make a hell of a router but switches they stink at.

It goes along with the old industry saying....."No one ever got fired for buying Cisco."

IMHO - there are far better and less expensive and more exandable and more feature filled switches on the market than Cisco. They'd be my last choice, uh, next to Extreme that is.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Im curious Korp;

In your humble opinion, what stinks about cisco switches. I for one will be the first to tell you that they are not the best switches with respect to performance. I personally was involved in stress testing 2 other vendors against Cisco's high end 6500 switches.

However our results were based soley on performance under extreme and I mean extreme conditions, which with the backplane of today's switches, you "may" never reach a saturation point. I've used the IXIA and Smartbit traffic generators for the "bakeoff".

Three vendors tested were Cisco, Extreme, and Foundary.
    Extreme came in first running at wire speed, Cisco was a very close second, and foundary at a dead last.

Now back to my point;
    Other things to consider when choosing a vendor are:
    1) cost
    2) Interoperability
    3) features supported
    4) mangement
    5) support (where Cisco blows the competition in this area)
    6) robustness (how buggy the IOS is. Ive worked a lot with the Alpine, Black diamond and Summit48i Extreme switches..And they are in my opinion not as stable as the Cisco Switches.They are, however cheaper.)

Im sure it may be debated, but all in all from my experience, taking all of the above into consideration and having worked with 3Com, Cisco, Extreme and Foundary; I find Cisco to be premier...I am strictly speaking for use in large enterprise network.. Not pop and mom shops..

Just an FYi
    Some of the Extreme founders were former Cisco employees. Just as was the case with Juniper whose routers outperform cisco's high end routers and are slowly creeping up all over ISP backbones. It too was started by ex Cisco employees.

Also, if anything, I would argue Cisco's routers are worse than their switches....A lot less stable...

Im curious Korp;

In your humble opinion, what stinks about cisco switches. I for one will be the first to tell you that they are not the best switches with respect to performance. I personally was involved in stress testing 2 other vendors against Cisco's high end 6500 switches.

However our results were based soley on performance under extreme and I mean extreme conditions, which with the backplane of today's switches, you "may" never reach a saturation point. I've used the IXIA and Smartbit traffic generators for the "bakeoff".

Three vendors tested were Cisco, Extreme, and Foundary.
    Extreme came in first running at wire speed, Cisco was a very close second, and foundary at a dead last.

Now back to my point;
    Other things to consider when choosing a vendor are:
    1) cost
    2) Interoperability
    3) features supported
    4) mangement
    5) support (where Cisco blows the competition in this area)
    6) robustness (how buggy the IOS is. Ive worked a lot with the Alpine, Black diamond and Summit48i Extreme switches..And they are in my opinion not as stable as the Cisco Switches.They are, however cheaper.)

Im sure it may be debated, but all in all from my experience, taking all of the above into consideration and having worked with 3Com, Cisco, Extreme and Foundary; I find Cisco to be premier...I am strictly speaking for use in large enterprise network.. Not pop and mom shops..

Just an FYi
    Some of the Extreme founders were former Cisco employees. Just as was the case with Juniper whose routers outperform cisco's high end routers and are slowly creeping up all over ISP backbones. It too was started by ex Cisco employees.

Also, if anything, I would argue Cisco's routers are worse than their switches....A lot less stable...