Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ip Address

Ip Address

I am wondering why when I type into command lline--> IPCONFIG it shows that my IP is 10.0.0.1 instead of my real IP.
    What it means when my IP address is 10.0.0.1

My modem is modem/router so i can set it up through 10.0.0.138 IP address. Can set up DHCP,etc......

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    10.0.0.1 is a private address it works like this

Internet ----- a.b.c.d (Real internet address) Router (10.0.0.138 internal private internet address) ---- (10.0.0.1) Your PC

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    To inflate the above answer from Steve.Milner:
    If the net allocated a unique IP address for EVERY PC, then there would be 128 bit adresses. And there is enough of a problem with the 32 bit addresses in use now.

So, those in command? in their wisdom decreed that the PC's locked up behind routers could use a set of common addresses.
    These addresses are not allowed onto the open net, and if they ever do trespass, then the system kills them dead (TTL 128 to 0-now).

For this reason the term N.A.T.(Google)will be making itself known to you shortly.
    This is the device that converts the 'private' IP address to a usable temporary address, so that you can communicate with the outside world, without having to leave your PC.
    NAT will remember your address, and the address that it gave to your message, should you be lucky enough to receive a reply, then NAT will recognize the incoming address as one of his/hers? and re-convert it back to the 'private' IP address, so that you can read the reply.

Hope that helps clear up any worries you might have had.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    If the net allocated a unique IP address for EVERY PC, then there would be 128 bit adresses. And there is enough of a problem with the 32 bit addresses in use now.

So, those in command? in their wisdom decreed that the PC's locked up behind routers could use a set of common addresses.
    These addresses are not allowed onto the open net, and if they ever do trespass, then the system kills them dead (TTL 128 to 0-now).

For this reason the term N.A.T.(Google)will be making itself known to you shortly.
    This is the device that converts the 'private' IP address to a usable temporary address, so that you can communicate with the outside world, without having to leave your PC.
    NAT will remember your address, and the address that it gave to your message, should you be lucky enough to receive a reply, then NAT will recognize the incoming address as one of his/hers? and re-convert it back to the 'private' IP address, so that you can read the reply.

Whoa..... That was supposed to clear stuff up? I'm an IT student and I work in the IT field. That is the most horribly written drivel that I have ever seen. I hope your goal was to completely confuse the reader. You mentioned IPV6 (in a round-about way)..yet it has no bearing here. Also... you think we'd NEED 128bit addresses to address every PC? The reason for 128 bit is that there's enough IP address to address every computer now and future addresses as well.

What's next.. "So, those in command?" That's a question, however the sentence then continues... is it common practice in the UK to put question marks in the middle of sentences? Onto the open net? Can't say I've ever heard that term before. WTF is the open net? If they ever trespass..... good lord are we trying to sound intelligent now? If so you are failing miserably.

NAT Isn't a device... it's short for Network Address Translation.. A NAT Device (router or so on) is a Device... Now Private IP Address to a usable temporary Address? That's about the worst definition I've ever heard... Like I said.. are you trying to confuse the person? NAT doesn't remember anything btw.. again it's only an acronym... If you're lucky enough to recieve a reply? Recognize it as one of his or her's addresses? WTF since when do networking devices have genders? Convert it back to the private address eh? Good lord

All I can say is I hope @ng3lu$ ignores everything you said... That was absolutely horrible.

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by foxyloxley

Whoa..... That was supposed to clear stuff up? I'm an IT student and I work in the IT field. That is the most horribly written drivel that I have ever seen. I hope your goal was to completely confuse the reader. You mentioned IPV6 (in a round-about way)..yet it has no bearing here. Also... you think we'd NEED 128bit addresses to address every PC? The reason for 128 bit is that there's enough IP address to address every computer now and future addresses as well.

What's next.. "So, those in command?" That's a question, however the sentence then continues... is it common practice in the UK to put question marks in the middle of sentences? Onto the open net? Can't say I've ever heard that term before. WTF is the open net? If they ever trespass..... good lord are we trying to sound intelligent now? If so you are failing miserably.

NAT Isn't a device... it's short for Network Address Translation.. A NAT Device (router or so on) is a Device... Now Private IP Address to a usable temporary Address? That's about the worst definition I've ever heard... Like I said.. are you trying to confuse the person? NAT doesn't remember anything btw.. again it's only an acronym... If you're lucky enough to recieve a reply? Recognize it as one of his or her's addresses? WTF since when do networking devices have genders? Convert it back to the private address eh? Good lord

All I can say is I hope @ng3lu$ ignores everything you said... That was absolutely horrible.

Peace,
    HT

Well I probobly wouldn't have said it that way, I got what you were saying foxy. Next time just clear it up a bit so HTregz won't try and skin you alive. Trust me, I've gotten it before and it is a mess to clean up. Took four bottles of bleach. In a nutshell just think of it this way:

A post office is located in one place right? Well in that post office there are many post office boxes. Now, all of those boxes have the same address, but they belong to different people. Now, people at home have their very own address which is linked directly to their house. If that didn't make any sense, then hopefully this will:

http://www.dudanation.com/superwong.mpg
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Well I probobly wouldn't have said it that way, I got what you were saying foxy. Next time just clear it up a bit so HTregz won't try and skin you alive. Trust me, I've gotten it before and it is a mess to clean up. Took four bottles of bleach. In a nutshell just think of it this way:

A post office is located in one place right? Well in that post office there are many post office boxes. Now, all of those boxes have the same address, but they belong to different people. Now, people at home have their very own address which is linked directly to their house. If that didn't make any sense, then hopefully this will:

http://www.dudanation.com/superwong.mpg
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

IP ADDRESS

And is it possible that because of my private address when i connect to P2P client i have to be in passive mode instead of active?
    Cause if you want to be in active mode you have to type IP address but when i type my real IP address it does not work.
    So may i change from private address to real IP or is it because i got router/modem?

IP ADDRESS

And is it possible that because of my private address when i connect to P2P client i have to be in passive mode instead of active?
    Cause if you want to be in active mode you have to type IP address but when i type my real IP address it does not work.
    So may i change from private address to real IP or is it because i got router/modem?

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: IP ADDRESS

Originally posted here by @ng3lu$
    Yes, this will be why.

To be able to use your real IP address you may need to look at your router settings.

My router describes this as a 'Virtual Server' and it allows you to map ports from the internet to ports on the internal network.

Hence : To map tcp port 22 you would set up a virtual server entry thus:

ID-1 Public Port-22 Private Port-22 Port Type-TCP Host IP Address-10.0.0.1

You need to know which ports to map for your P2P and to examine the settings for your router.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com