Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help router problems

Banned

Unhappy help router problems

hello i have windows xp and a linksys wireless router

PROBLEM:this is whats happening ,i have one computer that is currently connectd to the internet (the one i am on ). this computer is connected to the modem and to the router.

but my other computer connected to the router can not go on the internet what do i do to fix this and whats happening

HELLLLLLLLP

Hey Hey,

I'm confused about your network setup

Code:
    Router -- PC -- Modem or PC
                                               |   \
                                               |   Modem
                                               |    /
                                         Router
    If you have the first setup. Did you set up ICS correctly? Since you have the router. Why not run it first and then run all the PCs into the router, it'll work much better.

If you are running the second connection. I'm guessing you are on cable? I suppose it could be some DSL companies as well. Anyways you only get one IP Address.. which is why the router is needed. Your on PC is grabbing the IP address and the router can't get an address. Since the router doesn't have an IP... nothing behind the router can get online.

Eitherway you need a straightforward connection Modem -- Router -- PCs

Peace,
    HT

Banned
    i have it connected the right way i just need to know how to connect my computer in my room to this one. tell me is im acting very stupid or on the right path.

1. first i whent to network connections and got the ipadress,subnetmask,default gateway and two dns servers and wrote it down

2.then i whent to the other computer and put the same info in network connections

3.then a message said ip conflict

4.then i was confoused

ps thanks for taking your time and helping (i am not that smart at this catagory of computers)

ps im online in the computer that works

Banned
    i have it connected the right way i just need to know how to connect my computer in my room to this one. tell me is im acting very stupid or on the right path.

1. first i whent to network connections and got the ipadress,subnetmask,default gateway and two dns servers and wrote it down

2.then i whent to the other computer and put the same info in network connections

3.then a message said ip conflict

4.then i was confoused

ps thanks for taking your time and helping (i am not that smart at this catagory of computers)

ps im online in the computer that works

Hey Hey,

Does your router assign addressed based on DHCP? Because then you shouldn't be entering information, you should just tell it to obtain information from DHCP Server. The reason you got the conflict is because you copied the IP Address, so two computers on the same network had the same IP address (see a problem )... When you say you have it the right way do you mean Modem - Router -- PCs? What is the IP address associated with the working PC.. is it private or public? (what is the address..)

Peace,
    HT

Hey Hey,

Does your router assign addressed based on DHCP? Because then you shouldn't be entering information, you should just tell it to obtain information from DHCP Server. The reason you got the conflict is because you copied the IP Address, so two computers on the same network had the same IP address (see a problem )... When you say you have it the right way do you mean Modem - Router -- PCs? What is the IP address associated with the working PC.. is it private or public? (what is the address..)

Peace,
    HT

If I'm reading your question correctly you have computer A and computer B both are communicating with the router and you want them to communicate with each other. The example I'm giving assumes w2k (I have not done it with XP but it should be similar).

Ensure that you have sharing enabled (Right click on the folder you want to share and select properties then go to sharing and create shareName). Now go to the computer attempting to reach the one where you just made the share. Click start->run and enter \\<sysName>\shareName you can most likely do it without the shareName.

Note shareName is a placeholder for the example. You can get the <sysName> by right clicking on My Computer and selecting properties and then selecting the Network ID tab or computer name tab (can't recall, currently in a location where I cannot check and this system is running NT 4).

You can also right click network neighboorhood and select map network drive and then enter \\<sysName>\share. To test if the systems reconize each other you can do ping <sysName> if the request times there is a deeper issue.

I hope that I have provided some clear guidance and that you are able to resolve your networking issue.

Cheers,

-D

<EDIT>
    Good cache on DHCP HTRegz forgot to mention checking that
    </EDIT>
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

If I'm reading your question correctly you have computer A and computer B both are communicating with the router and you want them to communicate with each other. The example I'm giving assumes w2k (I have not done it with XP but it should be similar).

Ensure that you have sharing enabled (Right click on the folder you want to share and select properties then go to sharing and create shareName). Now go to the computer attempting to reach the one where you just made the share. Click start-&gt;run and enter \\&lt;sysName&gt;\shareName you can most likely do it without the shareName.

Note shareName is a placeholder for the example. You can get the &lt;sysName&gt; by right clicking on My Computer and selecting properties and then selecting the Network ID tab or computer name tab (can't recall, currently in a location where I cannot check and this system is running NT 4).

You can also right click network neighboorhood and select map network drive and then enter \\&lt;sysName&gt;\share. To test if the systems reconize each other you can do ping &lt;sysName&gt; if the request times there is a deeper issue.

I hope that I have provided some clear guidance and that you are able to resolve your networking issue.

Cheers,

-D

<EDIT>
    Good cache on DHCP HTRegz forgot to mention checking that
    </EDIT>
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Banned
    thanxs so thats it ,but i still cant acces the internet from the other computer after checking optain automatic ip.

ps this looks weird I thought that private wireless network ips lookedlike this 192.168........
    but the computer that is hooked up to the internet has an ip starting with 68.51.......

and the computer that is not online its ip is 192.168.......

do you want me to attach a snapshot of what i see.if i do could people hack into my computer with those numbers

Banned
    thanxs so thats it ,but i still cant acces the internet from the other computer after checking optain automatic ip.

ps this looks weird I thought that private wireless network ips lookedlike this 192.168........
    but the computer that is hooked up to the internet has an ip starting with 68.51.......

and the computer that is not online its ip is 192.168.......

do you want me to attach a snapshot of what i see.if i do could people hack into my computer with those numbers